Buck bed question. Plz help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Buck bed question. Plz help

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:21 am

With my new knowledge i received on the hill country film i decided to try a little in season scouting of land ive hunted for 5 or 6 yrs now and never been able to harvest a buck from it. After looking at a topo i checked out a knob i have walked by a million times. Within 75 yards of this knob i found 2 scrapes and as i got closer (20yds) from the point a very nice 8 point stood up and galloped off, checking me out every few seconds. I got in his bed and checked this out and only found 1 small rub and it wasnt pounded to dirt but all the leaves have recently fallen too. Should i go in first thing in the morning and try to wait for him to arrive or is this a bad idea? I had hoped to hunt another spot tomorrow morning but thought this may be a classic situation to try andres "bump and dump" tactic. What are u guys opinions?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dreaming bucks

Re: Buck bed question. Plz help

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:33 am

I am by no means an expert on the bump and dump tactic, but the way I understand it, Andrae usually would try to bump them later in the afternoon, so the buck would be up on his feet and soon would be at his normal feeding routine. If you bump them early in the day, the buck probably is going to relocate to another bedding site for the rest of today, and then head out to feed or whatever later tonight. With that happening, he might go back to his last bed that he was at today......

Like I said, I'm not very experienced in this tactic, but that's what I remember guys talking about, it's best to bump them later in the day.

But hey, give it a try. You might want to check to see if the wind direction is the same the both days also..
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:34 am

Go for it, you already bumped him so you might as well give it a shot.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:21 am

headgear wrote:Go for it, you already bumped him so you might as well give it a shot.

x2
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:31 am

Just thoughy id let you guys know i we t in and sat over the bed saturday morning. I was in the tree waitng nearly 2 hours before daylight. He never came home. The wind was slightly different however. I didnt see him or anything else. Had to try though

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:49 am

admiral04 wrote:Just thoughy id let you guys know i we t in and sat over the bed saturday morning. I was in the tree waitng nearly 2 hours before daylight. He never came home. The wind was slightly different however. I didnt see him or anything else. Had to try though

Nothing works every time. In fact I have many more hunts than kills every year. My mindset is: "Am I going to kill a good buck"? Yes.... "Will it be today or tomorrow", more than likely not.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:18 am

Hey man you tried. I've tried that to as well and it did't work very well. I believe "dreaming bucks" was right. Bump him later in the day (not sure what time) get set up trim your tress, lanes, what have you and be there first thing in the morning. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it works, probably not everytime.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:27 pm

The prob is being public ground you prob weren't the first to bump him, so they go try to find a new area where they won't be bumped/dont get pressure. Seems like when it works in on very lightly pressured ground, which ussually isn't public.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”