Dipping on Stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

J57

Dipping on Stand?

Unread postby J57 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Unfortunately have a bad habit Dipping Tobacco. Looking for opinions do you think this spooks em. I usually use a bottle and don't spit on the ground. Thanks J57

Crazinamatese

Re: Dipping on Stand?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 pm

I've read a book by one of the Beloit guys from your neck of the woods, and ol' man Beloit said he'd put in a dip of Redman when he went after big bucks. I dip occasionally, I don't dip on stand, so I don't know what deer think of it.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:28 am

I do when I am on stand and have never witnessed and ill effect on the deer. I have even had a couple come right to the base of my tree, sniff it, and never spook.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:47 am

Have one in right now. Just had 2 six pointers 20 yds downwind n they didn't spook. Never had any reaction from it ever before. I would ditch the bottle though. I think the movement will cause more problems than the chaw stink.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:17 am

Hilts wrote:I do when I am on stand and have never witnessed and ill effect on the deer. I have even had a couple come right to the base of my tree, sniff it, and never spook.

These are my experiences as well. Spit away...
brink

Unread postby brink » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:25 am

Total speculation as I don't chew but I can't imagine it helps your cause at all. If we take measures to reduce our scent (some of us are more "nuts" about that than others) why introduce a foreign scent to the deer? I will say that I hunt near mint fields and it may not be as foreign in my neck of the woods but again, I can't see it as a good thing.

Is there a tobacco product that isn't minty? I think that would be better than opening a can of Kodiak on stand.

Not trying to stir the pot, just my two cents.
Whatever is Clever.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:21 am

If the wind is in your favor you have nothing to worry about, if its not they are going to smell you anyway.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:12 am

Gross.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:15 am

muddy wrote:Gross.

x2 :puke-huge:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:17 am

I know the beast mentality is to hunt a spot then forget it and move on. So if you choose to spit, smoke, pee, or even drop a deuce from your stand, no big deal because you are not returning to that spot. However for people that have stands they return to and hunt when the wind is right and plan on returning to that stand. I can't see how any foreign smell can be a good thing.

I prefer the low impact in, low impact on, and low impact out approach to all of my stand locations. I take great precautions to make sure that I dont take or leave foreign smells around that stand. I know my boots will carry some smell in but Im sure they dont take as much in as a guy peeing from his stand or spitting from his stand.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:30 am

trdtnlbwhntr wrote:I know the beast mentality is to hunt a spot then forget it and move on. So if you choose to spit, smoke, pee, or even drop a deuce from your stand, no big deal because you are not returning to that spot. However for people that have stands they return to and hunt when the wind is right and plan on returning to that stand. I can't see how any foreign smell can be a good thing.

I prefer the low impact in, low impact on, and low impact out approach to all of my stand locations. I take great precautions to make sure that I dont take or leave foreign smells around that stand. I know my boots will carry some smell in but Im sure they dont take as much in as a guy peeing from his stand or spitting from his stand.

I can't explain it any better. If you are a serious big buck hunter you eliminate everything you can that may cause you not to hang one on the wall.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:46 am

trdtnlbwhntr wrote: However for people that have stands they return to and hunt when the wind is right and plan on returning to that stand. I can't see how any foreign smell can be a good thing.

As a stinky beast hunter this is something I can agree too, if you are going to hit the same stand on multiple hunts no reason to leave a scent bomb behind.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:00 am

Been dipping for 21 years. My trophy room is ok...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:21 am

I just don't dip and that keeps them from getting spooked. I have several friends that do and they've been busted before, but who's to say it was from dip or from them moving or some other stinch. I say if you feel the need then dip away my friend, but I wish you would quit.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:27 am

I gut it. No different tham chewing gum on stand then.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”