Where does everyone aim?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Where does everyone aim?

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:18 am

At 7 yards I have to use my 45 yard pin to hit where I am aiming. My 20 hits low.

Exact shot placement from a treestand varies grealy with the distance from the base of the tree.

I think a good rule is to aim for the exit point you want.

marty

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am

lungbuster wrote:
dan wrote:

I would put the pin a touch further back on this one so the exit was in the opposite shoulder crease, this angle looks like it will exit through the shoulder possibilly hindering the pass thru. Other than that they are spot on with how I would aim.

I prefer to sink it into the shoulder get front of lungs back of heart seems to be middle of vitals. I think the opposite crease would still take out both lungs but would be inching close to a liver and one lung shot if you hit a couple inches back of your aim point.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:14 am

WiBowhuntress wrote:Dan, got any pics from a high elevated position...say shooting from a treestand 20 ft up?

Sherry, it took me some searching to find elevated game pictures in shoot-able positions so forgive the weird looking "deer"

I hear a lot of people tell new hunters to aim higher on deer from elevated positions. While this is somewhat of a true statement I believe it is very misleading. Your hole in the deer and the spot your aiming on the deer will actually be at a higher position on the deer, but really, your still aiming at the center of the of the chest cavity as viewed from your perch.

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm

dan wrote:
lungbuster wrote:
dan wrote:

I would put the pin a touch further back on this one so the exit was in the opposite shoulder crease, this angle looks like it will exit through the shoulder possibilly hindering the pass thru. Other than that they are spot on with how I would aim.

I prefer to sink it into the shoulder get front of lungs back of heart seems to be middle of vitals. I think the opposite crease would still take out both lungs but would be inching close to a liver and one lung shot if you hit a couple inches back of your aim point.

I would honestly prefer a liver /lung on quartering away shots if it meant a pass-thru, I have shot a number of animals at steeper quartering away shots than this and it is just as deadly as a double lung. I hate not having a pass-thru as it hinder's the blood trail and if you hit bone like a shoulder joint it seems to send the deer off at mach one, whereas when I have had pass-thru shots that didn't hit major bones the deer usually just bolt for a few yards then slowly walk off or fall over in sight.

Now if this were a quartering to shot it would be much different for me, if I can't connect through both lungs or punch out the heart I won't shoot quartered to. Don't know why it is but if you reverse the same quartering away shot I just explained to a quartering to, bad things happen even though your arrow is just reversing it travel. :? :?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Slightly quartring away. 28yards 12' stand.

Entry

Exit.

Deer went 45 yards, dropped and was dead in a few minutes.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Very clear subject!!! Thanks for all those cool pics!

I didn't yet hunt with a bow (I'll next fall as you may know) can you tell me more about the pulling down of a deer when he hurt the shoots of the arrow? From which outdistances it can begin has be a problem. Must I correct my aim in anticipation?
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:39 pm

A deer can react to the shot of your bow at any distance. As sound travels 5X faster than the speed of your arrow. The key is staying undetected and taking shots at unalarmed animals. When someone shoots at an alarmed animal, that is when problems occur. The typical reaction you will get from a deer is that it will drop down and set itself in motion (kind of a springing action) at the reaction of your bow releasing the arrow. My advice: get you some hunting videos that show some kill sequences. You will have to read a deer's body language! Videos help but nothing replaces time in the woods observing your quarry. I recommend Dan's videos the most because they will really help you get on the right track to successfully hunting whitetails. Good Luck!!
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:19 pm

I visualize the top of the heart and pin it there. Over a few season I noticed my kill shots were getting back into that lung, liver, gut area and I was having some long blood trails (see hill country bucks) I bought a 3-d target and praticed aiming top of heart, problem fixed :)
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:14 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:A deer can react to the shot of your bow at any distance. As sound travels 5X faster than the speed of your arrow. The key is staying undetected and taking shots at unalarmed animals. When someone shoots at an alarmed animal, that is when problems occur. The typical reaction you will get from a deer is that it will drop down and set itself in motion (kind of a springing action) at the reaction of your bow releasing the arrow. My advice: get you some hunting videos that show some kill sequences. You will have to read a deer's body language! Videos help but nothing replaces time in the woods observing your quarry. I recommend Dan's videos the most because they will really help you get on the right track to successfully hunting whitetails. Good Luck!!

Thanks for your advice!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:30 am

Some people aim a tad lower while others don't. I'm one of those that doesn't aim lower and to the best of my knowledge I've never hit a deer high because he jumped the string. I've hit them a tad high mostly due to error on my shooting.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:11 am

My advice: get you some hunting videos that show some kill sequences.

Sound advice but you have to be cautious of that as well. Few years ago I took a top of shoulder shot on a good buck right underneath me that had me pinned. Why? Beause I recalled a kill scene with that exact shot on a video. Long and short, I got 1 spot of blood and lost that buck. One thing that irks me in the hunting video industry is when people use footage of kill shots with horrible angles or shot placement. People watch this stuff and think "It worked for him/her, so it should work for me too" Not always true, there's a lot of footage that never will never make it on screen because the animal was lost.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:35 am

Good point! As a new hunter, he should definately only take the classic shots of broadside and slightly quartering. However, I think the videos will help him see the body language of whitetails as they approach and exit certain treestand setups. I agree some of the shots these clowns take are unacceptable. When in doubt, don't shoot is always my advice.

3dog wrote:
My advice: get you some hunting videos that show some kill sequences.

Sound advice but you have to be cautious of that as well. Few years ago I took a top of shoulder shot on a good buck right underneath me that had me pinned. Why? Beause I recalled a kill scene with that exact shot on a video. Long and short, I got 1 spot of blood and lost that buck. One thing that irks me in the hunting video industry is when people use footage of kill shots with horrible angles or shot placement. People watch this stuff and think "It worked for him/her, so it should work for me too" Not always true, there's a lot of footage that never will never make it on screen because the animal was lost.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”