Big Woods Mountain hunting tactics (Hill country like?)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

futuredoc

Big Woods Mountain hunting tactics (Hill country like?)

Unread postby futuredoc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 am

I'm looking at hunting whitetail in Idaho next year. Most of the terrain is a little more topography than I'm used to, and it would appear that I'll be hunting a lot of big woods. My question is this, for any of you that have experience hunting similar terrain, do the hill country tactics apply? I'm assuming whitetails peter out when you get very high, so the top 1/3 of the mountain may not contain the deer, do you just hunt lower ridges I'm assuming? Also, how do you all go about breaking down 100,000 acres of woods?!! I remember hearing Andre D'Ac say he would hunt big north country and just think of it like a mental 100 acre farm block. What do you all think? Lastly, anybody want to go next year?

thanks,

Kendall

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Big Woods Mountain hunting tactics (Hill country like?)

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:42 am

How much is it?
headgear
500 Club

Re: Big Woods Mountain hunting tactics (Hill country like?)

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:52 am

I would say the Hill Country is a great place to start, hunting a mountain you might have some other unique bedding situations to look out for but knowing how they travel/bed in hill country should give you a great head start.

I hunt more flatland bigwoods but it can be a daunting task to figure it all out, you have to look at both the big picture but also break up and scout smaller chunks of land at a time. I actually printed out a map of my main up north bigwoods hunting area last night, about 20 square miles and 12000+ acres. Not sure if I can cover it all in my lifetime but I will sure as heck try. I basically cyber scout like mad and pick some areas to scout from there. Now I just need to find the time to get out there and scout the hundreds of locations that look promising.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”