What to do when you hit a deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

Re: What to do when you hit a deer

Unread postby VA5326 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:38 pm

If I don't see the animal fall or if I don't hear a definitive crash, I'll typically wait 4 hours to take up the trail. You may think you smoked the deer but you never know. I can't count how many times I've heard guys say I know I put a good hit on a deer(myself included) and end up coming up empty handed. When I get down from the stand I will, however, mark the place of animal/arrow impact and attempt to find the first few drops of blood and then walk away. Just a rule of thumb for me as I've lost a deer or two in my day and have seen many others lose too many by taking it up too early and bumping/pushing a deer. Trout does mention that there are some instances where you need to take up the trail immediately but I have very rarely seen that work for anyone. My rule, " when in doubt, wait'em out". Sometimes just getting out of the woods, and finding something to pass the time can help the psyche, at least for me anyway. Being hungry coming out of the woods helps too. I think it's better too to have hunting buddies with you when you do recover the deer. Everyone can celebrate together. Being alone and recovering a deer used to mean a lot to me, not so much anymore. These days I'd rather have friends around to enjoy the moment with me. Just my humble opinion.

VA

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:05 pm

I have never noticed any real pattern on which direction they go. The thing I have noticed is they want to get out of the immediate area as fast as possible. A double lung, heart hit deer has no time to evaluate what direction they go as they are down in a hurry and usually within sight. I have also seen them not flinch go a few yards and tip over. I have seen them just stand there and tip over. Gut shot deer usually don't go very far and bed down. liver shot deer can go great distances and do often head for water. Most deer when hit head for thick cover. I have never seen a quartering away hit deer come back towards the danger. I have seen broadside and quartering to deer go back the direction they came from. I personally don't believe wind direction determines what way they bolt after the shot. I think direction of danger has more to do with what direction they travel after the shot. Moving deer when shot (most often) keep moving the direction they were headed (not always).
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:14 am

Stanley wrote: I think direction of danger has more to do with what direction they travel after the shot. Moving deer when shot (most often) keep moving the direction they were headed (not always).

I think your right Stan, I alwasy see an initial reaction to danger. Like you said quartering away they often run from you, broadside I often see them turn back they way they came because it was safe back there. In Tim's case the buck bolted down the hill. I think if they travel any distance the wind can come into play more but the #1 thought has to be getting away from the danger in any way possible.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:35 am

Stanley wrote:I have never noticed any real pattern on which direction they go. The thing I have noticed is they want to get out of the immediate area as fast as possible. A double lung, heart hit deer has no time to evaluate what direction they go as they are down in a hurry and usually within sight. I have also seen them not flinch go a few yards and tip over. I have seen them just stand there and tip over. Gut shot deer usually don't go very far and bed down. liver shot deer can go great distances and do often head for water. Most deer when hit head for thick cover. I have never seen a quartering away hit deer come back towards the danger. I have seen broadside and quartering to deer go back the direction they came from. I personally don't believe wind direction determines what way they bolt after the shot. I think direction of danger has more to do with what direction they travel after the shot. Moving deer when shot (most often) keep moving the direction they were headed (not always).
I pretty much agree. Minus a gut or liver shot I give all of my animals at least 2 hours before I take up the blood trail. Liver and or guts, the next day.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:50 am

headgear wrote:
Stanley wrote: I think direction of danger has more to do with what direction they travel after the shot. Moving deer when shot (most often) keep moving the direction they were headed (not always).

28 out of 29 of mine have gone the same direction...

down. 8-)

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:52 am

Schultzy wrote:
Stanley wrote:I have never noticed any real pattern on which direction they go. The thing I have noticed is they want to get out of the immediate area as fast as possible. A double lung, heart hit deer has no time to evaluate what direction they go as they are down in a hurry and usually within sight. I have also seen them not flinch go a few yards and tip over. I have seen them just stand there and tip over. Gut shot deer usually don't go very far and bed down. liver shot deer can go great distances and do often head for water. Most deer when hit head for thick cover. I have never seen a quartering away hit deer come back towards the danger. I have seen broadside and quartering to deer go back the direction they came from. I personally don't believe wind direction determines what way they bolt after the shot. I think direction of danger has more to do with what direction they travel after the shot. Moving deer when shot (most often) keep moving the direction they were headed (not always).
I pretty much agree. Minus a gut or liver shot I give all of my animals at least 2 hours before I take up the blood trail. Liver and or guts, the next day.

I agree, you can't push them or it turns into an ordeal fast. Younger hunters lack the patience to wait.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
huntingaddict1
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/taylor.shytle

Unread postby huntingaddict1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:30 am

A deer bleeding internally that is spraying out the nose a shot that is far back will run up hill sometimes to try to keep the blood out of their air pipe. Old timer taught me this and I have seen it hold true. Not many deer run uphill, but the ones that have, this held true for them.
When we're in the outdoor place, it's by God's grace!
Elevation Church - Gaston Campus
Mathews Heli-m #70 29"
Rage 2-Blade
Victory Arrows
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:34 am

huntingaddict1 wrote:A deer bleeding internally that is spraying out the nose a shot that is far back will run up hill sometimes to try to keep the blood out of their air pipe. Old timer taught me this and I have seen it hold true. Not many deer run uphill, but the ones that have, this held true for them.

Never heard of that one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”