tarsal gland

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vwj

tarsal gland

Unread postby vwj » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Has anyone ever tried using an actual buck and or doe's tarsal gland from a fresh kill?

I just want to get some feedback. The reason I ask is during the prerut/ rut, bucks like to go downwind from a call you made or rattling you did, if it works cause its actually from another deer.

Brad

Re: tarsal gland

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:55 pm

I used to use scents religiously, now I wonder how I was duped so easy. Here is what I wonder and why I will probably never use scents again. Where ever I put scent I have to walk, which means I leave ground scent that any deer that cuts it will probably spook. If a scent does work the deer will have to be able to be downwind of the scent to get a whiff of it, which puts the deer where my scent is probably going too. To me that sounds like I'm stacking the deck against me right off the bat.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

I have used both. Last season I was working a hunt inside a military installation. it was a earn a buck program. Hunter shot a doe. Said the buck that was trying to mount her kept hitting her while she was on the ground dead. He was going to check in his doe return the next day for his buck hunt.

I removed her glands, put them in a zip lock. Told him if it were me I would head back to the stand and hang those glands and see what happens.

One hour after being on the stand he shot a 144 inch 10 point came straight to the glands!

I have personally used both. I have had mixed results as well. If they are fresh, cut off and used right away NOT FROZEN then used another hunt seems to work the best.

I have had bucks catch wind of the buck glands, and run away!

SO thats about all I can tell you...different bucks different results I suppose. Sorry I couldnt be more definative
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I used to use scents religiously, now I wonder how I was duped so easy. Here is what I wonder and why I will probably never use scents again. Where ever I put scent I have to walk, which means I leave ground scent that any deer that cuts it will probably spook. If a scent does work the deer will have to be able to be downwind of the scent to get a whiff of it, which puts the deer where my scent is probably going too. To me that sounds like I'm stacking the deck against me right off the bat.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image

I agree....I think you would really have to know what you are doing with scents especially for a mature buck. I have made drag lines and have had many yearlings and even 2 yr olds follow it in but never a mature buck.

I know it does happen but seems like an unecessary risk. I also dont like Doe Estrus scents becaause I think some are mixtures and the ones that are from only one doe could be a doe from Texas while Im hunting in Wisconsin.

Used a tarsal gland once years ago and nothing came in. Got it off a doe my uncle shot on Oct. 20th and used it the next morning however I did refrigerate it which could have been why it didnt work.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:45 am

I am going to make my own scent out of some when I get one on the ground.

Im not so sure that I buy that any deer who cuts my track is going to spook. I have seen enough times it didnt happen to know that you never know.

One thing I do consider is that I am going to walk somewhere to get in and what do I have to lose by laying scent there while entering. He either hits it, spooks, comes in or doesnt care. Ive seen all those scenarios first hand. Unfortunately not everywhere I hunt do I have the ability to walk a ditch or a creek, if I had that ideal situation I might think otherwise. Additionally I really do believe in mock scrapes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”