Friday,Sat and Sun

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Friday,Sat and Sun

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am

Where will you be? I don't think I will use my good rut spots yet.I have no spots for a parallel trail set up because of the wind. So I am torn lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Friday,Sat and Sun

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 am

Ill be on a 4 day hunt near caladonia MN. Rut tactics for me.

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 am

U.P. MAN wrote:Ill be on a 4 day hunt near caladonia MN. Rut tactics for me.

Good area, good luck! I will still be hunting next to bedding areas from bed to food. Preferably in a funnel or pinch point.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 am

Still hunting beds, however that is where I see the good early rutting activity on public land. I never see mature bucks out roaming around even in early Nov, safety alwasy comes first.
Mushky

Unread postby Mushky » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Leaving for New York in the morning (4:00 am). Expect to get an evening "bow" sit in when we get there as it will only be a 7 hr ride. Hunting my buds property and the cams finally got some pics of a few (alright) bucks just before dark. Anything really worth shooting has been just after dusk but hopefully that will all change by this weekend. Way to many flat heads so we plan to all take at least one seeing we have the taggs. He has pics of one doe that should dress around 200 lbs which has been around now going on 6 years and drops trips every year but it's time for her to go (doe patrol). Just hope she eat's good being that old.

Good luck all. Whack'em & Stack'em
Mathews Monster XLR8
28" Draw / 65 LBS / 336 fps
G5 Optix XR2 Sights / QAD HD Rest
Fuse Axium Stabilizer
Scott Rhino XT Release
Carbon Express Maxima Hunter - 250
G5 - T3's
Bow Force Mapped

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:21 pm

I really wanted Friday to hunt, but mandatory overtime at work. :roll: My boss is a huge hunter and let it be known that there is a "possibility", we get out by noon Friday. He knows whats up and wants to be hunting too that day. ;) A serious cold front is coming thru the upper midwest right now. Its in western NW Minnesota right now. Some snow in the forecast as well and Friday looks to be the best days this week in west central WI IMO. Other than that, I think next weekend will be prime time. I have 4 days off for that and cannot wait. Saturday and Sunday morning, I will be setting up on a funnel (strip of hardwoods) going thru a marsh. Saw some nice bucks there last season cruising thru there and hoping they cruise thru there again this year.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 pm

I am going to sit all day I think. I have not yet decided where.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:17 pm

I will be up in northern MN Friday through Sunday and (injury dependent) would like to be set up on a couple spots that are either bottlenecks through alder swamps, or parallel trails from bedding to feeding. Probably will sit all day each day. Looks to be fairly windy Thursday night into Friday morning...should cover up the sound of the crutches lol.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Well, looks like a long day at work tomorrow with overtime. Saturday morning is looking good. Calm wind and very cold temps.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Probably can't hunt friday but I'm going to do some shining tomorrow at dusk aroung the public land that is fairly new to me to see what food sources the deer are hitting and then try to figure out where they are bedding during the day on the sattelite photos. Saturday morning I will be in an observation stand close to the road that overlooks a good portion of the marsh and backsides of crop fields. From my results of that I will decide where to sit in the afternoon. Also if that scouting doesnt bring me to any conclusions I just rigged up my kayak to attach my stand and bow. I want try it out and quietly get back into a spot where I suspect some does bed.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 pm

My original plan was water holes but the drought has eased up and my intel didn't pan out. I will continue to hit some parallel trails and bed to food. Rut tactics are about 5 or 6 days away from being productive by my thinking. I may still set close to a water hole that is close to some buck bedding. I lack the skills to get right up on a buck bed and kill one like that. I do much better staying back 100 yards or maybe a little closer. Hunting in the thick stuff bucks will tend to move around a little, and not hang in one bed all day. I watched many different bucks bed behind a big wind fall oak last year. It was like they were taking turns. They were all 1.5 year old bucks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”