taking the front shoulder shot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

taking the front shoulder shot?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 am

Lets say you have a great buck in front of you at 20 yards, & he has hit front leg back just enough that it's covering alot of his vitals. Do you take the shot, & try to blow right through the shoulder, or do you wait & hope he presents a little better opportunity with his leg ahead more? I've heard guys say you should never take that shot, & i've heard others say it's not a problem with todays bow's, that you will blow right through that front shoulder.

What do you guys think, wait, or drill him?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: taking the front shoulder shot?

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:31 am

I'm waiting every time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 am

I'd never take a front on or quartering too shot with a bow.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:44 am

muddy wrote:I'd never take a front on or quartering too shot with a bow.

But what if he's broadside, & his front leg is back, is there still enough room around that shoulder to hit lungs if the leg is back?

G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:50 am

X2...if he is broadside, wait a second, he will move that leg forward.
brink

Unread postby brink » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 am

Today's bows have more than enough kinetic energy to blow through that shoulder blade but what I get concerned about is the arrow not making through the other shoulder.

I've taken that shot before once and never recovered the animal. Probably won't ever take it again

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Whatever is Clever.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:08 am

Im taking the shot for sure. Even slightly quartering to.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:14 am

brink wrote:Today's bows have more than enough kinetic energy to blow through that shoulder blade but what I get concerned about is the arrow not making through the other shoulder.

I've taken that shot before once and never recovered the animal. Probably won't ever take it again

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

My buddy used a newer Matthews with a 69lb draw last year and took a shoulder shot on a broadside doe because a tree was covering the rest of her vitals. He got almost no penetration and we tracked for around half a mile before losing blood. He also was using fixed blade broadheads with the "bone crushing tip". Just because a bow is new doesn't make it powerful. There are many other factors that play in (draw length, arrow weight, speed bow vs shootability bow, etc). Also, the shoulder itself isn't a uniformly solid piece of bone, as anyone who's butchered one knows. Hit it in a thin part of the blade, and yea, you might get through. But hit a little different spot and now you might hit an area that's thicker, has different collagen alignment, etc, and the arrow hits it like a piece of concrete. Personally I would take the liver/back of the lungs shot over attempting a shoulder shot, even with a high energy bow. Obviously the best is to wait until he takes a step forward if possible.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:18 am

Todays bows CANNOT blow through a deers shoulder, maybe the thin cartilage but not the shoulder.

I will not take a quartering toward shot.

If a deer is broadside and has its front leg back and it is covering the vitals near the pit behind the leg, I feel confident enough that if I move my shot back a couple inches I will still hit lungs and kill the deer. I have done it many times.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 am

I wouldn't take that shot. My buddy did that 2 years ago, with a rage. He got no penetration, but decent blood for about 100 yards then nothing, never found the deer.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:26 am

Maybe I am visualizing this wrong, but if a deer is broadside, I don't see how the position of the leg can appreciably block the vitals. The shoulder is quite high, which should give you quite a bit of room below the scapula to still hit lungs, even if you need to hold behind the leg a touch.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 am

I think I read it wrong, I thought he was quartering towards me. Now after re reading it sounds like the deer is broadside with a leg blocking the vitals. I would still like the deer to move the leg foward, but I think that shot is doable.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:33 am

dreaming bucks wrote:

But what if he's broadside, & his front leg is back, is there still enough room around that shoulder to hit lungs if the leg is back?

I've taken at least 15 deer on that shot half of them I've caught the flat part of the shoulder and blown through every time. Short recoveries. I think it's the quartering to shot that get's folks in trouble.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:50 am

Ya, sorry, I should have said right away that I was picturing a deer completely broadside.... I always thought you are suppose to still have that front leg at least straight up & down, & not back, but after looking at some vitals pictures, it looks like a guy should still be able to catch the lungs if you hit just behind & maybe a little above the shoulder.... correct?

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:51 am

virginiashadow wrote:[glow=red]Todays bows CANNOT blow through a deers shoulder[/glow], maybe the thin cartilage but not the shoulder.

I will not take a quartering toward shot.

If a deer is broadside and has its front leg back and it is covering the vitals near the pit behind the leg, I feel confident enough that if I move my shot back a couple inches I will still hit lungs and kill the deer. I have done it many times.

thats not true..the doe i shot sunday had the arrow blow through the shoulder blade (thick bone part)and stuck out a foot....and that was with an expandleble head....

the right arrow, broad head, bow and shot, and it is possible...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”