??? about a funnel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Troutking

??? about a funnel

Unread postby Troutking » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:14 pm

I am planning on hunting a classic looking rut funnel but wanted to see what your thoughts are on this spot. I set a camera out last night in the area prior to a heavy rain and will have one of my buddies hunt it prior to gun season since I can't kill another buck till then. Anyway here is the scenario. This is national forest land that is deep, approx 2 miles back on public. Very little pressure. There are thousands of acres on either side of this pinch point. The pinch is that classic hour glass funnel that you read about but rarely see in reality. The bottleneck is approx 200 yards long and 25 to 30 yards wide. What makes the pinch is a 200 foot bluff which is impossible for deer to travel and the edge of a fenced pastured field. As with many of the pastured fields they stop where the terrain gets aggressive. My concern is that deer may use the pastured field more then the timbered funnel because of the inability to escape if in trouble. I guess I will know the status of this spot soon enough from camera work and hunting but still interested in your thoughts.

The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
James
500 Club

Re: ??? about a funnel

Unread postby James » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Is there cattle in the pasture? In my experience the deer will go out of their way to avoid the pasture when there are cattle in it, but they'll use it when the cattle is not around. I killed my muzzleloader buck last December in a pasture that was unoccupied by the cattle.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:24 pm

James wrote:Is there cattle in the pasture? In my experience the deer will go out of their way to avoid the pasture when there are cattle in it, but they'll use it when the cattle is not around. I killed my muzzleloader buck last December in a pasture that was unoccupied by the cattle.

Its a pastured field with cattle often but when I was back there last night the cattle were gone. Looks like the ranchers moved or sold their head.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:33 am

My experience is that the bucks will prefer the wooded area over the open area... I can think of several funnels I have hunted along side pasture or open fields and the bucks mostly cruise thru the timber.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”