sits, all day in the rain?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

sits, all day in the rain?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:26 am

For those that will stick it out all day with it raining off & on, or one of those all day drizzle days........ what do you use to stay dry? Just raingear? I see they make those umbrella's that clamp to the tree you are in, but I'm wondering if they would really stick out to deer at 20 feet high? Maybe I will just stay prepared with some garbage bags. I think punching a couple holes in one would work pretty good to stay dry.. thoughts???

[ Post made via Android ] Image

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: sits, all day in the rain?

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:34 am

The garbage bag idea sounds like it would be too loud for my liking.

I have one of the umbrellas that you mentioned. I have used it to stay dry with great success on rainy, dreary days. Will it stick out to a deer? Maybe, maybe not. The way I look at it is you have to be out there to even have an opportunity and I cannot hunt while being completely soaked on stand so the umbrella at least gives me a chance where if I was at home because it was raining, I would have a 0% chance to score.

If you decide to go with one of those umbrellas, install it on the tree so that it tilts slightly back towards the tree. There's a gap between the tree and umbrella if you install it level and rain will come in down the back of your neck.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:52 am

xpauliber wrote:The garbage bag idea sounds like it would be too loud for my liking.

I have one of the umbrellas that you mentioned. I have used it to stay dry with great success on rainy, dreary days. Will it stick out to a deer? Maybe, maybe not. The way I look at it is you have to be out there to even have an opportunity and I cannot hunt while being completely soaked on stand so the umbrella at least gives me a chance where if I was at home because it was raining, I would have a 0% chance to score.

If you decide to go with one of those umbrellas, install it on the tree so that it tilts slightly back towards the tree. There's a gap between the tree and umbrella if you install it level and rain will come in down the back of your neck.

Maybe I will order one of them..... $35 is not too much to pay if it keeps me dry all day. Of course this being said, if I buy one, it surely won't rain at all this upcoming rut, but I would be prepared if nothing else.... thanks!

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:11 am

I have an umbrella. Bought it last year because I couldn't stand sitting in the cabin any longer. Ran to Cabelas and then ran out hunting. It worked great for the wet snow dripping from the trees. Kept me in the stand!! Already have it packed for the next two weeks!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
xpauliber wrote:The garbage bag idea sounds like it would be too loud for my liking.

Maybe I will order one of them..... $35 is not too much to pay if it keeps me dry all day. Of course this being said, if I buy one, it surely won't rain at all this upcoming rut, but I would be prepared if nothing else.... thanks!

Iv seen them for $20 at Dicks sporting goods and Walmart. Wouldn't be in the rain without mine! Great for gun season also..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:38 am

I have on of those umbrella's and while it works great for rain in calm conditions it downright sucks if the is any wind. Also the rain drops that hit it can be very loud but if it keeps you on stand instead of at home by all means give it a shot. For certain conditions it can work great.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 am

I have a ground blind on standby, if I'm able to. Scotchguard the roof of it prior to hunting. Make sure you let it air out well in advance of hunting in it, though.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:32 am

I've never used one of those umbrellas, do they really work as you guys are saying? Generally I have a firm "no hunting in the rain" policy unless its supposed to quit before it gets dark or if it's rut. If it's rut, I suck it up, but man that makes for a miserable day.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:03 am

Last year wi gun opener it rained, sleeted, froze then snowed. My wife and i sat dark to dark in it in our heater body suits. If you use one during rut, literally go out in a shirt and pants then climb in. Ive used the umbrella but kinda noisy and no good in wind.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:19 am

U.P. MAN wrote:Last year wi gun opener it rained, sleeted, froze then snowed. My wife and i sat dark to dark in it in our heater body suits. If you use one during rut, literally go out in a shirt and pants then climb in. Ive used the umbrella but kinda noisy and no good in wind.

But what about your head? Do the body suits go over your head too? I just don't have $300 to spend on one of those right now, but from what everybody says, they work awesome...

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 pm

Jay, don't go buy one yet, I think I have an extra one, if I do its yours. I personally do not like them very much, they make a lot of noise when rain hits but then again, if your at home you have no chance, and when its raining everything else is noisy too so it may cancel it out. I hate hunting in the rain, I am so afraid of losing a good blood trail, that alone keeps me in most of the time. I think its a mental block more than anything, but I sure fear losing blood.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:14 pm

It does make noise when the raindrops hit it. I try to time my hunts so that I'm there before it quits. With today's smartphones, I just look at the radar about a thousand times a day!! :lol: I want to be sitting there when it stops! If it's going to be an all day washout, I'm scouting or catching up at home..
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Thank you much Brad, but I already have one coming..... I know what you mean about losing blood.... makes me also wonder if it's worth sitting in the rain...

spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:25 pm

muddy wrote:I've never used one of those umbrellas, do they really work as you guys are saying? Generally I have a firm "no hunting in the rain" policy unless its supposed to quit before it gets dark or if it's rut. If it's rut, I suck it up, but man that makes for a miserable day.

I used to think they were a joke a just bear through the rain with my gortex. a couple of years ago in gun season they called for three days of heavy rain so i figured I would try one out. 2 of us hunted opening morning out of 12 guys I saw tons of deer most i could of shot with my bow and they didnt care about the umbrella! I shot a nice public land 10 pointer that morning in complete comfort. I was amazed at the simplicity of it.
I now carry it any time it threatens rain best 20 dolars I ever spent on a gadget.
I bought a few on sale for my buddies at dick sporting goods and they love them. They couldnt believe that they never tried one before.
spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:29 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:Last year wi gun opener it rained, sleeted, froze then snowed. My wife and i sat dark to dark in it in our heater body suits. If you use one during rut, literally go out in a shirt and pants then climb in. Ive used the umbrella but kinda noisy and no good in wind.

Get the one with the vents it really helps out in the High winds. As for the noise it can seem loud cause the rain is hitting right above your head instead of landing on the ground below you. I have never had a deer pick me off with the umbrella up. I think it is all mental as I used to feel the same way

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”