sits, all day in the rain?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

spiker2930

Re: sits, all day in the rain?

Unread postby spiker2930 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:Jay, don't go buy one yet, I think I have an extra one, if I do its yours. I personally do not like them very much, they make a lot of noise when rain hits but then again, if your at home you have no chance, and when its raining everything else is noisy too so it may cancel it out. I hate hunting in the rain, I am so afraid of losing a good blood trail, that alone keeps me in most of the time. I think its a mental block more than anything, but I sure fear losing blood.

Brad I never understood the rain and blood theory. I used to tease my friends they were just afraid to get wet when they would tell me that.
In my experience you either get a real good blood trail or sometimes nothing it seems but I can honestly say that 80% of the deer I have shot I watched or heard pile up in 75 yards or less so blood trails are not very relevant to me. Shot placement is the key. So if its raining I like my minimum 8 of of ten odds better than none at all. A bad shot is a bad shot regardless of rain. Get past the mental thing and get out there with your Umbrella! I am sure your percentages are at least as good as mine. I wont hunt in Thunder and Lightning thats where I draw the line.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 pm

I still hunt in the rain as long as its not a downpour. I pass up shots I would take in normal conditions; I keep shots 20 yards and under when the rain is coming down.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:56 pm

I like hunting in a light rain. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:14 pm

muddy wrote:I've never used one of those umbrellas, do they really work as you guys are saying? Generally I have a firm "no hunting in the rain" policy unless its supposed to quit before it gets dark or if it's rut. If it's rut, I suck it up, but man that makes for a miserable day.

It keeps me in the woods which is where I need to be to kill a buck. Without it, I will last until I am soaked through to my skin and that's it. This is just a tool to keep me out there to up my odds. Does it stick out? Is it noisy at times? Yes. Would I rather have a frosty 32 degree November morning with 0% chance of rain? HECK YES! It's just another tool.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:17 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I still hunt in the rain as long as its not a downpour. I pass up shots I would take in normal conditions; I keep shots 20 yards and under when the rain is coming down.

This is exactly my theory as well. In perfect conditions, I am confident in my shooting abilities out to 40 yards. When the rain is coming down, my shots are at stationary bucks, 20 yards or less, broadside or quartering away only.

Archery is a game of inches to begin with. When it's raining, our margins get even tighter. No room for error so you adjust accordingly.
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:47 pm

I love the umbrella. I sat last year all day in the rain and saw the most does/bucks on that day than on probably a dozen hunts combined. Without it I would have been either soaked or at home wishing I was out there. Awesome investment!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:56 am

I love those umbrellas. I have even attached them to the front of my climber to act as a blind in the sky. I shot my largest, a 190 NT with the umbrella in front of me on a windy day. The umbrella made some noise, but so did all the leaves and other crap blowing around the woods that day.

As far as the blood trails, my nephew shot a nice buck in a downpour last year. It continued to rain hard for several more hours and the next day we could still follow the trail. It is not ideal but rain does not instantly wash away all blood either. I picked up some bluestar just in case though, any one tried it?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:05 am

Glad to hear a bunch of you guys like the umbrella, glad I ordered one.... I almost hope it does rain or light drizzle all day just to test it out...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 am

Alright, I thought I owned everything I needed but I'm going to get an umbrella. Obviously won't be in the back pack year round but it'll be in the truck for days I need it. Thanks for the info.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:31 am

I use the umbrella as well...However, if there is any wind mine doesn't work as good. With Rain Gear, you stay a lot drier than you would without using the umbrella.
Last edited by MOBIGBUCKS on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:38 am

Mud and Dreaming Bucks way to go!! I know it's one more thing to lug in the woods, but if you need it, it's there!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”