Sunshine v/s Leeward

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Sunshine v/s Leeward

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:12 am

I hunt with some friends that every year when its cold...they like to hunt the side of a ridge the sunshines on first after sunrise. They tell me they prefer to hunt this tactic due to deer like to bed in the sunshine during cold weather.

1st do you agree with this thought?
2nd what if the sunshine isnt shining on the leeward side?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Sunshine v/s Leeward

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:51 am

When it is COLD in the winter, like below 10 degrees F here, deer definitely seek out the sunny side of ridges to bed, as long as they are out of the wind. If there is a strong east wind they will prefer to get out of the wind over getting in the sun, but that doesn't happen very often because generally east wind = oncoming storm here anyway. I love super cold windy weather, I can rule out lots of places I know deer are NOT. Give me 0 degrees with a -20 windchill and I will give you deer concentrated in a few areas out of the wind and in the sun :D
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:07 am

Even in farmland around me I find deer beds in areas of the woods that the sun reaches the floor. I can only assume the deer are using them to soak up some sun.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 am

Tough call. I would suggest that leeward side would be more benificial, but not anything consistant. Depending on wind and location...too many variables for me and where I hunt. Saddles, funnels, bottlenecks are the biggest bets.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:56 am

I don't believe a deer is going to sacrifice safety for comfort. I believe they will bed with the wind to their back on the leeward side if they are experiencing much pressure. In the dead of winter when it is cold if the majority of the winds are going to be out of a northerly direction then the leeward side is facing the sun anyway, just in theory the coldest days they will be in the sun. Only on the warm days with a south wind are they bedding on the north side. North side is the side that little to no direct sunlight.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Sun for sure. Why do you think most sheds are found on south or east facing slopes in hill country?
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Casper wrote:Sun for sure. Why do you think most sheds are found on south or east facing slopes in hill country?

I think because most of the winds will be out of the West and North that time of the year which would put the deer on the south or east sides of ridges. I don't know this for sure and I am sure the are exceptions to any rule but I believe they are bedding more for wind not just sun.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:08 pm

In the sun and out of the wind. It's not just comfort. In the winter deer use a lot of energy by just staying warm their body, just like ours burns a lot of fuel just to stay warm. So, when they're in the sun and out of the wind they're conserving energy. On cold days they are certainly more vulnerable because we can rule out a lot of the territory they use because its getting blasted by the wind, rain and or snow.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Sauk Beast

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:00 am

I agree with Casper , I see a lot of early morning activity on the sunny side of the hills.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:10 am

Troutking wrote:
Casper wrote:Sun for sure. Why do you think most sheds are found on south or east facing slopes in hill country?

I think because most of the winds will be out of the West and North that time of the year which would put the deer on the south or east sides of ridges. I don't know this for sure and I am sure the are exceptions to any rule but I believe they are bedding more for wind not just sun.

When it is cold deer will bed on South and East facing slopes regardless of wind. They are my favorite spots to look for sheds and hunt late season. Places that aren't typically bedding areas now become great bedding areas when it gets cold.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:45 am

I must be wrong on this one since everyone is saying the same thing except me. Wouldn't be the first time. :D I'll have to pay attention to this winter. Thanks for everyones insight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”