Understand cold fronts better....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stump

Understand cold fronts better....

Unread postby Stump » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:55 am

So as we know right now and for the last week or better it's been 60s-70 out. 73 today, 77 tomorrow, 55 Thurs, 42 Friday, 44 Sat, 48 Sun. With rain today/tomorrow and Thurs.

So when is the best time to be hunting this cold front? Anything else you want to throw in that I haven't?

phade
500 Club

Re: Understand cold fronts better....

Unread postby phade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:01 am

I like hunting before and after the fronts, up to the point of the front passing while in stand or leaving once overhead.

To me, alot depends on what's coming in with the front, too. Rain...wind...thunder/lightning. I give a slight edge to action prior to than after, but that's bound to be different for everyone.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:55 am

Good question. For me personally, I have had luck with seeing movement the several hours in advance before the front moves in. For example, we have a front moving in on early friday morning, so thursday evening will be ideal for me, unfortunately with work tying me up all day long everyday, I can't. I think there are several variables to look for, but when you comes down to it, you gotta go when you have the opportuinity.
Straightshot

Unread postby Straightshot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Last year there was a group of us out of state hunting and temperatures were in the 70s for 5 days straight at the beginning of nov. and a cold front came through during the afternoon and that evening 3 out of the 5 of us had released arrows on 3 nice bucks.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 pm

Straightshot wrote:Last year there was a group of us out of state hunting and temperatures were in the 70s for 5 days straight at the beginning of nov. and a cold front came through during the afternoon and that evening 3 out of the 5 of us had released arrows on 3 nice bucks.

That's a testimony on why to hunt those fronts. It's a guarantee to get them on their feet and moving.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:00 am

I like to hunt the morning after a system has come through. Colder weather and wind begins Thursday evening, I will be on stand Friday morning amongst other times.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”