hunting hard!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

hunting hard!!

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:06 am

Having a conversation with a friend today. We were talking about how hard we try and hunt while on vacation.
He brought up the fact of getting stressed out after 6-7 straight days of hunting.

A fact I would like to mention as I told him.... hunting hard and being super serious is fine and good. But dont turn hunting time into something so stressful. Keep hunting fun. Set goals but dont run yourself ragged trying to complete the goals.

He told me once he got home from his hunting vacation he was completely exhausted. I think pulling yourself down that bad is actually hurting your chances being successful. Be serious and try to harvest your target but keep it fun too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

GRFox
500 Club

Re: hunting hard!!

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 am

I am in this boat now. I have lost a lot of my confidence because of how my season has been going. Last year was my worst season ever and I was pretty torn up about it. I keep telling myself that this season is starting out to be just like last season.

Then I need to snap back into reality...... yes, I have not killed a deer yet, and I cant seem to kill a doe forr the life of me, but I have seen more bucks then does, I let a nice young 8 point with a drop tine pass, saw my target buck on a beast style hunt, had aa shooter just too farr to shoot, and watched the sam shooter fight wwith a younngg 6 point 70 yards from my tree.

So maybe I havent killed a deer yet, and I am being a little hard on myself, but I have seen a lot of action so far. To say that I havent been successfull would be taking away from all of the encounters that I have had which depending on how you look at it could be counted as sucessfull hunts regardless of a kill.

You are correct, sometimes you need to slow down and make sure you are enjoying yourself, and stop putting so much pressure on yourself.

After all, we are doing this for fun.

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:15 am

Agree, I lose weight during my hunting vacation each rut...I usually am wore out.

Last year, I cam home a day early and ate a tag in Ohio because of it. My buddy had filled his tag and the weather conditions were horrible temps wise. After 5 of 7 days being all day sits, with the other two days being morning/evening sits while we took his deer to the processor and picked it up...I was done with bow season. Regular firearms started at home in a few days, and I had given it my best shot. I had hunted hard for the week prior to this time...with 4 of 6 all dayers here in NY, with zero mature buck sightings.

I didn't tell my old lady, and I actually got some fancy deserts from her favorite bakery, called her as I was on our road getting ready to pull in and she said hold on as someone was in the driveway. I actually think she was more excited that night than the day we got engaged...and she got a huge rock that day! She was really happy to see me...and me her.

I didn't quit out of pure frustration...it was just time. Need to keep it enjoyable.
Last edited by phade on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:15 am

I agree that if you push it too hard it starts being a job and the fun factor decreases. I am taking a more laid back approach this year and trying to hunt smarter instead of harder. Other years I would have hunted mornings more but this year I have not hunted one all season. I would rather be rested up and completely alert and ready for my evening hunts since I can remember in the past having missed opportunities because of dozing off on stand in the afternoon due to being up way too early.

Usually during the rut I am on stand for all day sits and have done as many as 6 in a row. This can really burn a guy out being on stand for 11-12 hours that many days straight and as much as I love hunting I gotta admit that can become torture after about day 3 especially if you are not seeing much deer movement. It becomes very difficult to stay focussed for that many hours straight. This year I am going to break it up a bit by sleeping in a few days and then hunt from about 9 A.M. to dark. Hopefully this will keep me fresh and more alert on stand when it counts.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 am

Interestingly, I have had a friend suggest toting a blind with me out of state and to set it up in a central/non-instrusive spot on the ground where I can go and get some sleep or rest or stretch out during all-dayers. Might not use it every day, but useful for an hour or so respite around 3ish in the afternoon if I need some shut eye.

I think I may try it out this year and place it in a spot where I can transition to another stand for the remainder of the day at that point. Also good for rain if I'm tired of being soaked.

This will be my first year with the Guido's Web. Comfort seems to be one of its best qualities, and I think it may help big time with all-day sits. They're on my already bad back.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:53 am

I use to burn myself out, no doubt about it, sat in a tree any chance I could and was often burned out before rifle season. Now I try and be more strategic with my sits, going to try Dan's method of hunting bedding areas early and late and sitting a funnel or cruising area mid-day. I will be in the woods all day but moving around can really help break things up. I also have a lot less time to hunt than I use to so hunting a little smarter as Dewey pointed out is a must.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:10 am

GRFox wrote:
So maybe I havent killed a deer yet, and I am being a little hard on myself, but I have seen a lot of action so far. To say that I havent been successfull would be taking away from all of the encounters that I have had which depending on how you look at it could be counted as sucessfull hunts regardless of a kill.

You are correct, sometimes you need to slow down and make sure you are enjoying yourself, and stop putting so much pressure on yourself.

After all, we are doing this for fun.

It took me quite a few years to get to this point. When you decide you want to hold out for a bigger buck it is very tough to accept the fact that you may eat tag soup. I was used to killing a buck just about every year so it was a tough adjustment and I was really bummed out at the end of the season if I wasn't successful. Eventually I told myself that I don't have to kill a deer to have a good season. As long as I am having fun that is all that matters. November 1st it will be 3 years since I killed my last buck but it doesn't bother me at all since I have had plenty opportunities but chose not to shoot while waiting for a bigger one. I really enjoy every hunt and truly believe the next one is the hunt I will kill a big buck. You have to keep that confidence and believe in what you are doing and never feel pressured. I could care less of what others think and don't feel I need to kill a deer every year to prove I am a good hunter. What matters to me is that at the end of the season if I had fun and learned a lot along the way it was a very successful season. If I kill a good buck that is just a bonus. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
redz

Unread postby redz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:38 am

As a new (bow)hunter I started out hunting really hard just to be out in the woods and get some experience. I would sit morning and evenings several days out of the week. One of the best pieces of advice a veteran gave was to not burn myself out. Now if I have a good opportunity I go, if not I rest or do something else. Hunting should be an enjoyable, relaxing experience, not a burdensome chore.

Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:39 am

Great topic! I have driven through the night then hunted basically all day 6-7 days and it does turn into too much work and is hard on a body

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:46 pm

redz wrote:As a new (bow)hunter I started out hunting really hard just to be out in the woods and get some experience. I would sit morning and evenings several days out of the week. One of the best pieces of advice a veteran gave was to not burn myself out. Now if I have a good opportunity I go, if not I rest or do something else. Hunting should be an enjoyable, relaxing experience, not a burdensome chore.

Very well said. One thing I've noticed too...when I start getting "pushed" a little while hunting too hard maybe the 5th or 6th straight day....I'm not on the top of my game. Patience and ability to stay still on stand begin to suffer a little.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm

This season, so far I have not hunted very much.
Maybe six short sits.

Waiting for the urge to hit me. :shock:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:08 pm

I have almost a month of vacation time coming next week, I am sure some of that won't be spent in the woods, its just a simple fact of life. Time on stand will do a lot for your chances, so does burning a day to recharge the batteries mentally and physically.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Hey Guys,
Well I like this topic as I'm going on vacation next week and plan on hunting everyday from Saturday to Friday because that Saturday Nov. 3 the orange army will be out in MN. I plan on doing some mornings and afternoon or mid day hunts till dark in hopes of decent buck moving because of the rut starting to kick in. My best spot for deer has been a public hunting area that is about a 1000 acres. I've seen a deer everytime out and one decent 10 pt buck who I think is in the 120 to 125 class and hopefully he comes out or something bigger who offers me a shot.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm taking vacation specifically for hunting between October 28th-November 11th as I live for this part of the year. I truly love Autumn/Fall. I think it's good enough just being out in the woods when the leaves are changing/falling. Seeing deer is a good thing, getting a shot and even killing a good one is just the icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong though, I learned awhile back that if you try to hunt hard for too long a stretch then it begins to feel like a chore. I also plan on sitting on the couch relaxing and sleeping in a few days during that period of time as well. I also plan on catching up with some friends I haven't seen since last season. To me, there is a whole lot more to hunting that just sitting in a stand waiting for a big buck to come within range.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:09 pm

I have also been in this situation...having spent many hours on stand with little to no results. However, hunting is hunting, and it can change in the blink of an eye. All it takes is one hunt to turn the tide. That makes all of the sits that much more worth it IMO, if you end up smoking a target buck or any buck for that matter. However, I am learning from many of you on the beast about how/when to hunt and I feel more ready to take on the rut this year than ever before. So, thanks to many of you who post great ideas and tactics to help us all become better hunters!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”