hunting hard!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Re: hunting hard!!

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:49 pm

I usually hunt hard, but I don't go to far away...we should know our limits.
Well, stay sit down on a stand is not so hard as some approach techniques.
So, when I feel to tired for walking, I stay on a stand or a blind for example.
Also, I think hunting have a part of sport on it, the good point is they are so many way to hunt, so every body can practice this passion, even people with handicap. That's great! We don't refuse this passion to none!

When I travel for hunt, like when I come in Canada or in your country, I hunt like to be disgusted about it... :twisted:
Well, such kind of travel should be use like a orange, until the last drop. :L:

"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:43 am

We call it "bowhunter burn-out" A lot of guys hunt so hard early season by the time rut comes they are not fully alert, or thinking on there "A" game... You need to be alert enough to make good decisions, and change up plans when needed...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 am

I am piecing together my vacation right now. I am allowing for some half day hunts after 2-3 full day hunts. That will enable me to stay mentally fresh and enjoy my hunts/vacation without turning into a zombie.

And half day hunts mean I hunt from 10am to dark...hahaha.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:16 am

I took a nice 3 day break bringing the kids out hunting. It kinda puts a guy back into check. I'm out hunting and mad cause I'm not seeing big bucks. And you bring out he kids and it makes there day just to see a doe. I really enjoyed last weekend got away from the pressure of getting the big guys and just enjoying the hunt.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I've been doing this for 56yrs and can't remember hunting any harder than I am this season...and still stuck on 3 deer sightings in now 22 days of hunting.

I did kill one of those 3, but so far this is the most frustrating season I've ever hunted. It looks like I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and pull up stakes. I've hunted this area for the last 8yrs or so and the deer just seemed to have vanished. Old scrapes not opened up, trails grown over, no droppings, no sheds this spring, sparse travel sign everywhere.

I did find good sign about a 2 hrs walk from my house, but soon as I walked through they vanished and haven't been back. It's killing me going that far anyway. I think there's just so many acorns the deer are laying up where they're feeding and when I push them out they just move on to another white oak ridge and do the same thing again. They aren't covering any ground to feed...maybe when the acorns get low things will get better.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:01 pm

virginiashadow wrote:I am piecing together my vacation right now. I am allowing for some half day hunts after 2-3 full day hunts. That will enable me to stay mentally fresh and enjoy my hunts/vacation without turning into a zombie.

Sounds like the plan I have set up too 8-)
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm

backstraps wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:I am piecing together my vacation right now. I am allowing for some half day hunts after 2-3 full day hunts. That will enable me to stay mentally fresh and enjoy my hunts/vacation without turning into a zombie.

Sounds like the plan I have set up too 8-)

Every 2-3 days I need the sleep. Instead of waking up at 4:30am I sleep in until 7-8am to get my energy levels back up. When the moment of truth hits I want to make it count. That being said I will probably drive myself into the ground. :)
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:50 pm

I used to be very disappointed after each year that passed and I didn't bag a nice buck. For a while I used to think that my problem was that I wasn't out there often enough, so I would hunt any chance I got. Eventually it got to the point where when I did go out, my heart was not 100% into it and therefore I was not on my game. I would get off stand early, set up in spots that were easy to get to, but I knew I wasn't very likely to see deer much less kill one.

This year my time is limited, so I have only been able to get out three times so far. I'll hunt one day this weekend and then save myself for gun season being that I filled my buck tag for this year. In the mean time, I will be putting together my plan for hunting the two days of gun season that I will be able to hunt.

I think I have learned that what works for me is that some times I need to just take my foot off the pedal and let things happen instead of always forcing the issue and burning myself out. I love to hunt, so it is hard to tell myself that I need a break from it. This year I was forced to take a break from it (due to an addition to the family) and to be honest, it has been great. I am much more appreciative of my time on the stand now that I am not out there as often.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”