Hit big buck tonight please help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: Hit big buck tonight please help

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 am

dirt nap giver wrote:My biggest buck to date took a couple days to find him. Wounding deer happens for sure.
No medicine for these stomach aches
X2
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 am

I think James has it right. Good on you for showing respect to the animal and making a strong effort.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Im thinking I hit high clipped one lung and smacked into the opposite shoulder where the arrow stuck.

Do one lung hit deer usually die or do they make it?

James....if I did hit backstraps is there still a blood trail for hundreds of yards or not? BTW I hunt in Jackson county.

The one lung hit deer I have tracked have went long distances and not recovered.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 am

Sucks to lose them but good job getting onto him. Goodluck to you and the rest of your season!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:11 am

Thanks for the support guys! :D I want to thank all of you for how much you help people who wound deer and are so supportive of them. This is a rare hunting website to find that sort of thing.

I am guessing James is right on. His muscle hit trailing sounded just like mine. I am busy this morning with alot to do. With that said Im going back out this afternoon to look. I want to put in a full front effort to find him. I dont want to use dogs because the rain came and its been a long time since I shot him. Honestly I dont have much money either to pay for that sort of thing. I thank you guys for posting links and giving info about it though Im sure it works but I think with my circumstances not going to happen. He is also on my nieghobors land now where last blood is and IDK if he wants dogs running through his woods.

Sounds like another member is going to help me out which is very much appreciated! 8-)
TreeToad

Unread postby TreeToad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 am

A friend had a single lung shot on a 8 point on the property that we hunt. That we did not recover. Three weeks later my cousin shot it during the gun deer season. You could hardly tell from the outside that the deer was shot. I wish I would have taken a picture of the lung. You could see where the three blades of the broad head went thru the lung. If you drew a circle that was a 1/4" bigger in diameter than the blade marks, that part of the lung was a different color than the rest of the lung. The arrow went thru kind of the tip of the lung if that makes sense. But the deer seemed to be fine. You have to give it to them that they are one tough animal.

TreeToad
Your arrows are only happy when they're flying!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Buckfever wrote:I think James has it right. Good on you for showing respect to the animal and making a strong effort.

I agree. I've never been in your situation Bighills other than a doe I lost this season. But, put in the effort for that recovery. Thats all you can do right now. You had some bad mojo this season so far. I guess If I was in your situation, I would be thinking other ways to occupy my weekends. I respect the fact you aren't going to let this discourage you. The action is about to heat up and you have the next few weeks of good rut action to redeem that bad luck. I Hope you get back in the stand a little bit stronger after all what happened, and Im sure you will. You are due for success, and you deserve that next buck that you get in your sights.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
Buckfever wrote:I think James has it right. Good on you for showing respect to the animal and making a strong effort.

I agree. I've never been in your situation Bighills other than a doe I lost this season. But, put in the effort for that recovery. Thats all you can do right now. You had some bad mojo this season so far. I guess If I was in your situation, I would be thinking other ways to occupy my weekends. I respect the fact you aren't going to let this discourage you. The action is about to heat up and you have the next few weeks of good rut action to redeem that bad luck. I Hope you get back in the stand a little bit stronger after all what happened, and Im sure you will. You are due for success, and you deserve that next buck that you get in your sights.

This is the roughest and toughest season I have had. I will not do other things with my weekend because of my bad luck which is actually my fault to a degree. I love bowhunting simply said. I practice alot but when a deer comes in have a much tougher time it seems. I struggle with calming down for the shot. However, I have had many victories in my short 8 years of bowhunting. 8-)

I did all I could do and even checked again tonight with nothing to show for it. I try not to dwell on the past because it will only get to me and upset me so I dont let my thoughts go there to begin with. Someday I will get a dandy with my bow but I need to wait and Im ok with that. That was the biggest buck I have shot at in all these years bowhunting I just hope it doesnt take another 8 years! :lol:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:07 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:

This is the roughest and toughest season I have had. I will not do other things with my weekend because of my bad luck which is actually my fault to a degree. I love bowhunting simply said. I practice alot but when a deer comes in have a much tougher time it seems. I struggle with calming down for the shot. However, I have had many victories in my short 8 years of bowhunting. 8-)

I did all I could do and even checked again tonight with nothing to show for it. I try not to dwell on the past because it will only get to me and upset me so I dont let my thoughts go there to begin with. Someday I will get a dandy with my bow but I need to wait and Im ok with that. That was the biggest buck I have shot at in all these years bowhunting I just hope it doesnt take another 8 years! :lol:

You'll be ok, bad stuff happens and this far from the worst thing you will ever go through. Get back out there and hunt some more.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:30 pm

I think that unfortunate events like this has happened to us all everyone would agree. Like someone posted, it's good that you put forth a honest effort. Just by what you described, he'll live to see another season. In my opinion, I would just move on and if he doesn't make it, maybe you'll recover him come late winter or spring. It sounds like you have put the time in on tracking him. I hope you find him, but I wouldn't continue to put to much of you precious time on him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”