Topo overlay on Aerial Maps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SHoff10

Topo overlay on Aerial Maps

Unread postby SHoff10 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Is there a program that you can do this in? I know of mytopo.com but I've been able to find a site or program that has the overlays. Can you do this in Google earth?

Thanks guys!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Topo overlay on Aerial Maps

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:08 pm

I have not found a program that can do this (other than doing an overlay in Photoshop). However, I've even tried that and was less than satisfied in general with the quality of the finished product. It seems that once you remove the white and green background in the topo the lines really lose a lot of quality.

I like to go in Google Earth and click on the icon that looks like the sun. This opens a slider, which you can adjust the time of day with. If you put the time right at dusk or dawn, the topography will be shaded from the simulated sunlight. Then you can continue to move the image around and get a good look at it.

For example,

Also, I download custom aerial maps to my Garmin GPS which has topo lines on it already. These are crisp and I get get a very good idea, though the screen is small. And I'm not sure if you can do it on a non-Garmin GPS.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Topofusion has the ability to overlay topos on aerials. Download the free demo version and see if it fits your needs. I particularly like the topo over the black and white aerial.

http://www.topofusion.com/
SHoff10

Unread postby SHoff10 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Bowhunter....where did you get the download for the detailed aerials for your garmin? I have a garmin hc venture and have been looking to get aerials on my gps that only has topo right now....thank you

“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:11 am

I find aerial photos on Bing or Google maps typically. Do a "print screen" and paste into Microsoft paint. Then crop the image to whatever you want to include. Save as a .jpg which is important. Then open Google earth and add an image overlay. Choose the image you saved and reside it so that it fits perfectly over the actual location on Google earth. You can adjust the transparency of the overlay to make it easier. Once its positioned in the exact right spot, go to the image name on the left side information box in Google earth. Right click and choose "save place as" and choose .kmz file type.

Then plug in GPS and open the folder. Find the custom maps folder and drag and drop your kmz file into it. Eject the GPS and the image should be on the GPS. There's a how to video somewhere on YouTube as well.

Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 pm

If you are talking about Wisconsin, yes, the dnr webview online gis map. under the layers tab select I think images and then turn on topo merge. Let me know if you need more info. Plus it prints decent maps.

[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Reflex011 wrote:If you are talking about Wisconsin, yes, the dnr webview online gis map. under the layers tab select I think images and then turn on topo merge. Let me know if you need more info. Plus it prints decent maps.

Is there any way to get just the topo lines to merge on that site? I clicked on merge and I could see the aerial and topo, but the aerial was so hard to see because all it did was reduce the opacity of the topo map, leaving everything kind of milky white looking.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”