disgusted

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

disgusted

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:39 am

so i hit my target buck last night, waited till morning to track him and blood was bright red with tiny bubbles. he disturbed the leaves bigtime going down the bluff were i first found blood and its coming out both sides. i follwed him up the valley hundreds of yards he didnt want to go up the hills. the blood got scarce but i would keep picking it up and then it stopped. same thing that happened to me last year. im dusgusted. im giving it one more search this afternoon when a couple buddys get off work at 330. were gonna search the hills were i ran out of blood. this deer would easily surpass my 179 i shot last year. it dont look to promising right now but i gotta give it a search with more sets of eyes. the part i dont like is where he went down hill and it looked like he may have been struggling . i didnt hit bone though cause i know what that sounds like......... sorry for the rant my mind is racing ............. :cry:

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: disgusted

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:45 am

Good luck with the recovery. Any idea where you hit him? Dont lose hope yet, extra eyes will help.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:46 am

That sucks Tim, hope you find him.... any water nearby he would've went to?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:54 am

Good luck finding him! I read that wounded deer will instinctively head into the wind. May be something to keep in mind when searching for him.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:00 am

Good luck.. don't give up yet!
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 am

A deer like that I would be calling in the bloodhounds. From the way it sounds he's probably dead. Good luck Tim hope you get him.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:16 am

Where did you think you hit him? Forward? High?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 am

If you had blood like that, there is no way I would give up. My biggest buck to date did the same thing. Found him 3 days later on the opposite side of the stand he ran from.
A buck like that lives smart and dies even smarter.
Don't give up!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:35 am

Keep us posted! Hope goes well

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
go DEEP or go HOME
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:38 am

Keep after him Tim, don't give up!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 am

he came up the hill heading towards my pond. i had just taken a stand down that was directly in his path in fear of getting picked off by him so i moved the stand off to the side, when he got to the old stand set he started to booger, stiffened up head went up turned and trotted a step directly away from me, i drew my bow he stopped instantly and looked up the hill , when he did that he was looking left so his but shifted to the right and gave me a steep quartering away. iaimed at the pocket behind his shoulder and let er rip about 25 yard shot . at the shot he spun to his right and down the point. all i could see was his right side as he was running i couldnt see my arrow. he ran low and fast tail down then stopped before he went down the bluff i seen his tines for a couple seconds then i couldnt see or hear anything i waited 10 minutes got out of my stand and left and it was getting close to the end of shooting light, i think it was about 615 when i hit him.i had the perfect wind if not for removing that old set he would have came right to the pond to drink he was 15 yards from the pond i could have shot him quartering to easily but never thought that was going to happen i shoulda knew better...i wish 330 would get here so i can go look some more, id be out there now but gotta wait on these guys and figure 3 sets of eyes are better than 1. ive been up and down the bluffs 2x today and they are tough going. i lined the valley with cameras on the trail he took , i put one on my pond. ive got 8 cams out on my property now cause if we dont find him i want to know if hes alive...........id rather find him dead tonight.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:30 am

Good luck! If he was qtring away really severe and you put it tight in the facing shoulder armpit you may have only gotten 1 lung.........But I would think at that angle it would have still taken out facing lung and artery over the heart..........if you don't find more blood right away, i would find a good tracking dog before you scent the area up too much.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 am

Good luck Tim!! Hope you find him!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 am

i wish i had access to a blood tracking dog , i dont, ughhh
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:44 am

What county are you in, I think Joe (Predatortc) has access to a tracking dog, he is near Kettle Moraine. You might want to pm him and get the guys number with the dog if it is close enough to you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”