Public land map?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Remington guy

Re: Public land map?

Unread postby Remington guy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Head gear.... I have been trying to stay off high ground, my last stand location was at the bottom of a pretty big ridge with swamps on both sides and a thick strip of under growth through the middle, I hung my stand on last good tree possible before I was to thick in under brush. Seen two small bucks that's all in maybe 5 sits..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:02 pm

It was pretty much a funnel between two swamps, thought maybe there would be a big one in there somewhere, they Are Fairley large swamps, have sat mornings and nights there, so I figured it would be time to relocate, don't get a whole lot of time, with a 6 month old baby lol...

Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Maybe I am doin everything wrong, so from what I have explained so far is there anything I am totally messing up on when trying to get a big buck

Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:35 am

Maybe overlooked spots near the road where you've seen those big bucks. Nearby clearcuts or hay fields?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:36 am

Remington guy wrote:Head gear.... I have been trying to stay off high ground, my last stand location was at the bottom of a pretty big ridge with swamps on both sides and a thick strip of under growth through the middle, I hung my stand on last good tree possible before I was to thick in under brush. Seen two small bucks that's all in maybe 5 sits..

Public mature bucks don't often step on the high ground during shooting hours, especially outside the rut. I think you have to get out of the trees and into that under brush or find a small tree out in the nasty stuff. If you are at the bottom of the ridge and its calm you have to watch those evening thermals too, they will suck your scent right down into the swamp and the bucks will smell you before they get to your stand.
Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:29 am

Now when u guys go out to hang a stand, do u go off of what u have seen a far as bucks? Or do u go off of sign such as trails rubs scrapes etc ?

Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:55 pm

So I got down in the thick of it, was just walking though the thickest stuff I could, found a bed, and was like wow that's cool, looked around and seen multiple rubs on trees that were 4-6 inches around...about 50 yards away found a post in the ground that was rubbed to almost nothing, which was pretty cool too I thought never seen such big rubs... Getting pumped for the rut now. Thanks for all the advice

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”