Dans moon chart was right on tonight!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

spiker2930

Dans moon chart was right on tonight!

Unread postby spiker2930 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 pm

I just finished up with a soccer tournament with my daughter and got home about 3:00 pm
With the warmer temps I almost decided to stay home and blow leaves but I remembered that tonight was supposed to be a good moon night so even though it was a little late I decided to throw the assault on my back and give an area a try that I found some buck beds and lots of sign from the spring scouting.
I was working my low impact entry through a couple of shallow valleys in hill country and checking my gps as I approached to see how far the exact locations were and check the compass for wind direction.
I continued to inch my way up the incline slowly cause i was within 500 feet of the concentrated beds and rubs. As I peeked over the top to my amazement was about a 150+ buck already moving around non chalantly and feeding.
I dropped the stand and got ready in case he worked his way to me as he was about 60 yds away.
He continued to feed and rub a few trees as we made off with the wind to his back quartering ever so slightly. This was a little after 4:00 pm so I gave him some time and set up the stand and backed out to scout another area for hot sign since I took some vacation at the end of October first week of November. I wish I could of gotten out a little earlier but my daughters will only be young for a short period of time and then I will be able to hunt as hard as I used to before they were born. Did anyone else have a similar Moon phase experience tonight?
I hope to get another crack at this guy in the next week or so we have a cold front moving in for this weekend so that should help.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

gatorbait42

Re: Dans moon chart was right on tonight!

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Moon chart was right on for me, I stuck slammer tonight at 6:05, first laid eyes on him about 5:30. I was perched in a tree over looking a bedding area. Unfortunately I haven't found any blood, I did find about 12" of my arrow but no blood on the half that I found, only brown hair. I will be back in there tomorrow looking for him.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Good luck finding Him! Keep us posted. Hopefully you beat the yotes bu at least they dont eat antlers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:15 pm

gatorbait42 wrote:Moon chart was right on for me, I stuck slammer tonight at 6:05, first laid eyes on him about 5:30. I was perched in a tree over looking a bedding area. Unfortunately I haven't found any blood, I did find about 12" of my arrow but no blood on the half that I found, only brown hair. I will be back in there tomorrow looking for him.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Keep us posted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Good luck gatorbait42!

For you too spiker2930!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Good luck Gator!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Good luck Gator hope you find him

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:46 am

Good luck ,Gator.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:49 am

Good luck- cant wait for updates.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 am

Yesterday at 3:30, I was hunting real close to a buck bed and another big buck came by my stand from a different direction. He never got into a shooting lane and i think he may have picked up some of my scent stream. I never seen another buck the rest of the evening and I'm thinking it's because the wind picked up all the way until dark. Pretty cool to see one moving that early.
south

Unread postby south » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:20 am

Buddy of mine smoked his target buck right at dark.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:34 am

Real good movement last night. Had a small buck come by at 430!! Saw 3 does and 2 bucks on public marsh near home. Saw 4 does walking In also... Good hunt!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:51 am

I had no movement last evening. I finally had perfect conditions to hunt a bed along a river bottom here in Northern IL. The only thing I wonder is if I bumped him out on my way in as the wind was nearly calm. I really thought this was the night, too! I have yet to see a buck here in IL since the opener.

:think:
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:15 am

I had 2 does come right under my tree at 550 last night. Ten minutes later a decent 8 came within 15 yrs and I passed him up. Right before dark I heard grunting further back in the thick stuff. Can't wait for the weather to cool off!

JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 am

Two guys at worked noted increased movement on Saturday and Sunday evening. They both said the deer were moving well before sunset. This was with near 80 degree temps!
"In the deed, the glory"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”