what time does everyone sit until?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

what time does everyone sit until?

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:35 am

From opener until say October 25th when rut activity starts, what time willl you guys sit until on morning hunts? II have been sitting until 10am. I know guys that only sit til 9, and I have sat as late as 11I in the past.

Just curious as to when you guys sit ipuntil and why?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: what time does everyone sit until?

Unread postby Dor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:44 am

Varies. But I try to get it least 2 to 3 hours in possible. Sometimes more. It rare that I sit mornings till later on Oct. In s tree right now, but gotta get down by 9 due to sick kid.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:54 am

For me it depends on the temps. If it's a cooler morning I'll sit as late as noon, but if it's warming up quickly I'll get down sooner. Deer will be more likely to move in the cooler temps, and will tend to get up and move after bedding first thing in the morning.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 am

Probably 930 or 10 until I see some or hear of cruzin... heard chasing in dark this am..... 4 does n fawns at 830

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 am

GR,

You mention that the rut starts October 25th, is this the case everywhere (I am in Mass) or does it depend on other factors? Sorry for the silly question but since I do not know I shall ask. Thanks.

James
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 am

exojam wrote:GR,

You mention that the rut starts October 25th, is this the case everywhere (I am in Mass) or does it depend on other factors? Sorry for the silly question but since I do not know I shall ask. Thanks.

James

No it doesnt start that early, but its about that time that bucks are on their feet a lot more during daylight hours and move a lot more.

Not sure about you but here in NY we dont really see full blown rut until the teens of November.

BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 am

That's a broad question. There are many variables that dertermine how long I sit personally. Most of you mentioned 9-10 before you call it quits. However, in some locations that I hunt I go in at 8 and stay till 12. Kind of a morning brunch sit. I do that because some of the deer that I hunt doesn't move until 9-10. But for the most part I'll get down when the fiancee tells me to :lol:

The thing about hunting, I hate to get down because I know the minute I do a nice buck (or doe) will show up just as I'm making my departure. It's happened before! For my evening hunts, I stay untill I can't see my pins. Thants just my prefrence.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 am

GRFox wrote:
exojam wrote:GR,

James

No it doesnt start that early, but its about that time that bucks are on their feet a lot more during daylight hours and move a lot more.

Not sure about you but here in NY we dont really see full blown rut until the teens of November.

Precisely.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:52 am

I sit as long as wind and the situation allows me to. I have a buddy who was climbing down at 0930-1000 one morning early season and got busted by a giant. A guy never knows when a shooter will amble by. Buddy ended up shooting the same buck a week or so later, it went about 190 non typ.

Only thing that will make me leave a stand early is sick kids, lightning, and having to take a dump.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:43 am

I think if you have the energy, time, and patience (rare combination to have all of those). You can hunt until you get tired early season before say like the 25th of October. Do understand after 9 in the morning early hunting is mostly sitting watching squirrels. Now come Late October I think hunting until 11:00AM and later, standard time can be productive as long as you are not perched in a tree overlooking an open field. The more time you spend hunting non productive hours (this includes sitting in the dark AM), the more hunter and area burn out will occur.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 am

Agreed, which is why I tend to do evening sits in early season.

Watching squirrels is way better than my usual daily grind of changing diapers and playing barbies.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:40 am

muddy wrote:Agreed, which is why I tend to do evening sits in early season.

Watching squirrels is way better than my usual daily grind of changing diapers and playing barbies.

You got that right. Going to visit my granddaughter tomorrow, when it comes to sticking fingers in diapers to check for squash I find myself busy in the other room. ;)
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:04 am

Stanley wrote:

You got that right. Going to visit my granddaughter tomorrow, when it comes to sticking fingers in diapers to check for squash I find myself busy in the other room. ;)

You got that right. Just had this conversation last night. Grand babies were over and the room began to stank. My youngest looked at me and said "your turn" my reply was.... I've paid my dues with all 6 of my children. The only way I will change a diaper now is if I am the only one there. And I surely won't let that happen so no diapers for me!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am

dirt nap giver wrote:
Stanley wrote:

You got that right. Just had this conversation last night. Grand babies were over and the room began to stank. My youngest looked at me and said "your turn" my reply was.... I've paid my dues with all 6 of my children. The only way I will change a diaper now is if I am the only one there. And I surely won't let that happen so no diapers for me!

My eyes are too poor to clean all the crevices properly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:21 am

Stanley wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:
Stanley wrote:

My eyes are too poor to clean all the crevices properly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Dude that got me laughing so hard my eyes are watering. I'll remember that one and keep it in the storage bank

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”