Saw a big buck chasing tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Saw a big buck chasing tonight

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:15 pm

I had the perfect wind to sit in one the best stands for mid/late October tonight. Its my dads stand and he told me I could sit there.

I got in late forgetting gear at home... :oops:

I got to the foodplot and there was a young buck and 2 other on the edge which I scared away. Wasnt sure if I would see any after that.

An hour before dark a doe came in with a fawn behind her. Looked like a nubben because he was big. Then the doe looked back and there he was what looked like to be a 140-150 inch buck! She took off running like she had been shot and the buck chased after her. The fawn stood in the foodplot watching. They ran off to the West and then came back 30 seconds later across the foodplot and into my side of the woods. I could hear them tearing up the ground. Then they stopped about 120 yards out. I grunted and snort wheezed at him and he came charging in and stopped at 40 yards in thick brush. He stood there several minutes and then started walking back to the doe. I grunted three more times and he didnt bother he went back to the doe. Didnt get him but sure was a lot of fun to witness especially on October 20th.....it felt like peak rut. I dont think the doe was in heat because she had that fawn with her. Never seen such a big buck chasing a doe this early. Usually yearlings and 2 year olds. Its really starting to heat up here.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Saw a big buck chasing tonight

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Sounds like an exciting night !
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Sounds like an older doe came into estrous early, its weird that she only had the one fawn, normally the older does would have at least two. Would have been a great hunt to see!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:31 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:Sounds like an older doe came into estrous early, its weird that she only had the one fawn, normally the older does would have at least two. Would have been a great hunt to see!

Im assuming a coyote took out her other fawn in the spring. They are a problem here and their population continues to grow.

The doe was really big bodied and had a briskit on her like a buck. If she was in estrous I wonder why she didnt kick out the fawn yet? Like I said the fawn was big so I assume its a nubben buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”