Interesting find in the area I hunted this evening.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Interesting find in the area I hunted this evening.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:01 pm

This evening I hunted a wooded strip with a creek that funnels thru a swamp into a large wooded lot. I nailed a doe there back on the 5th of this month but never recovered her. The spot I picked is a tight cluster of tall straight trees with good deer trails flowing thru the funnel. I think its a good spot, the trees break up my outline perfectly. Anyways. As I was sitting in my climber, I looked at the tree next to me and noticed a screw in metal step half way up the tree. Its been there a few years, and you can see the scars in the tree bark where the hunter screwed in the other steps going up the tree. As I was making movement out of the woods, I noticed some reflective thumb tacks pushed into some trees leading straight to the tree. They been there for a few years also. I been wondering on the way home if that hunter had any luck there. I wonder if he was a big buck hunter, and I wondered what he was thinking when he found that spot. It makes me feel good I found a spot that is possible known for good action. Anyone else have any experience like that?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Interesting find in the area I hunted this evening.

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:34 pm

I find countless reflective tacks, ribbons and blazed trails. I come across tree stands left in trees for years, ladder stands, climbers, hang ons and home-made, I find wooden shooting shacks put on public illegally and about every other kind of stand and trail marker you can imagine.

Every once in a while, though, I find a VERY difficult to access spot and am sometimes surprised to find old blazes on trees or rusted out reflective tacks from some other hunter... it does make you wonder if they had any success.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:47 pm

I have never found anything like that before. I was kinda excited. Especially the same spot. The public land I hunt gets no attention ever during bow season. There are a few public areas I refuse to go to in my area though, They get hit hard and hunters tend to leave alot of garbage lay in the woods. Even found some homeless dude living on one public parcel a few years ago with a little camp and clothesline set up. Kinda creepy :?
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Yeah I find stuff off the beten path all the time, does my you wonder. My two favorite non hunting finds are:
I had an illegal alien set up camp 20 yards from my corn pile once. Bet he was shocked to find the tent moved several hundred yards away, if he found it at all:-). My buddy was hunting and had a illegal alien leave his mountain bike under him, so as soon as the dude left, my buddy hung the bike up in a tree out of reach.....

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I have never found anything like that before. I was kinda excited. Especially the same spot. The public land I hunt gets no attention ever during bow season. There are a few public areas I refuse to go to in my area though, They get hit hard and hunters tend to leave alot of garbage lay in the woods. Even found some homeless dude living on one public parcel a few years ago with a little camp and clothesline set up. Kinda creepy :?

Bum huts always make me edgy. I've come across a few on public in the past. one was occupied and I had to pull my side arm when I got charged my a bum with a rusty butcher knife, If he would have made one more step I would have dropped him. I'm glad he didn't but I was prepared to do what I had to..I ended up giving him some cash, gloves, hat and some venison hot sticks I had with me. He turned out to be a decent guy down on his luck, turns out some one else found his camp and destroyed it and stole some stuff thats why he reacted how he did. I went back a few days later with more supply's but he was gone. I sometimes wonder if he got back on his feet or what happened to him..I learned alot that day #1 I will not think twice or hesitate to kill in self defense #2 not all bums are bad folks sometimes they just fall on hard times. I think back on that day a lot and hope he is doing well
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:18 pm

You never know what your gonna find out there for sure.
Badger
500 Club

Unread postby Badger » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:33 pm

This time I wasn't hunting or on public land but it's pretty crazy. when i was like 13-14 me and a friend where out looking for snakes on a 2-300 acres property owned by some out of state company, it was near my friends house anyway where out there looking for snake and exploring and we came up to a fairly large plot of huge pines and could smell smoke so we checked it out..There was a guy buck naked dancing around a huge bon fire with animal skulls and bones layed out around it in a creepy fashion. he seen us and started chasing us my and my buddy ran fill tilt all the way back to his house about a mile or so. I didn't know a kid could move that fast..lol
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Badger wrote:This time I wasn't hunting or on public land but it's pretty crazy. when i was like 13-14 me and a friend where out looking for snakes on a 2-300 acres property owned by some out of state company, it was near my friends house anyway where out there looking for snake and exploring and we came up to a fairly large plot of huge pines and could smell smoke so we checked it out..There was a guy buck naked dancing around a huge bon fire with animal skulls and bones layed out around it in a creepy fashion. he seen us and started chasing us my and my buddy ran fill tilt all the way back to his house about a mile or so. I didn't know a kid could move that fast..lol

Wow that's weird! :shock:

You weren't around Plainfield were you? Sounds like a relative of Ed Gein! :lol:
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Badger wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:I have never found anything like that before. I was kinda excited. Especially the same spot. The public land I hunt gets no attention ever during bow season. There are a few public areas I refuse to go to in my area though, They get hit hard and hunters tend to leave alot of garbage lay in the woods. Even found some homeless dude living on one public parcel a few years ago with a little camp and clothesline set up. Kinda creepy :?

Bum huts always make me edgy. I've come across a few on public in the past. one was occupied and I had to pull my side arm when I got charged my a bum with a rusty butcher knife, If he would have made one more step I would have dropped him. I'm glad he didn't but I was prepared to do what I had to..I ended up giving him some cash, gloves, hat and some venison hot sticks I had with me. He turned out to be a decent guy down on his luck, turns out some one else found his camp and destroyed it and stole some stuff thats why he reacted how he did. I went back a few days later with more supply's but he was gone. I sometimes wonder if he got back on his feet or what happened to him..I learned alot that day #1 I will not think twice or hesitate to kill in self defense #2 not all bums are bad folks sometimes they just fall on hard times. I think back on that day a lot and hope he is doing well

I am pretty sure the hot sticks really got that guy back on his feet.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Badger
500 Club

Unread postby Badger » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Dewey wrote:
Badger wrote:This time I wasn't hunting or on public land but it's pretty crazy. when i was like 13-14 me and a friend where out looking for snakes on a 2-300 acres property owned by some out of state company, it was near my friends house anyway where out there looking for snake and exploring and we came up to a fairly large plot of huge pines and could smell smoke so we checked it out..There was a guy buck naked dancing around a huge bon fire with animal skulls and bones layed out around it in a creepy fashion. he seen us and started chasing us my and my buddy ran fill tilt all the way back to his house about a mile or so. I didn't know a kid could move that fast..lol

Wow that's weird! :shock:

You weren't around Plainfield were you? Sounds like a relative of Ed Gein! :lol:

lol no I wasn't in plainfield but maybe it was one of his cousins. The guy had really long scraggly hair that was mated up and nasty so it looked like had been out there awhile
Badger
500 Club

Unread postby Badger » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:47 pm

DropTyne wrote:
Badger wrote:

I am pretty sure the hot sticks really got that guy back on his feet.

I know they get me on my feet...yummmmmmm
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Dewey wrote: "when i was like 13-14 me and a friend where out looking for snakes on a 2-300 acres property owned by some out of state company,
it was near my friends house anyway where out there looking for snake and exploring and we came up to a fairly large plot of huge pines and could smell smoke so we checked it out..
There was a guy buck naked dancing around a huge bon fire with animal skulls and bones layed out around it in a creepy fashion.
he seen us and started chasing us my and my buddy ran fill tilt all the way back to his house about a mile or so."

Not MY last name, so please ignore, as I am an outstanding contributor to my society --> Plus I don't Dance :mrgreen: ...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:44 am

That is messed up. Bathsalts are he11 of a drug. A hollow point slug from my 45 would have ended his trip quick. Someone on here posted a pic of some pot growing operations found on public land. You gotta learn that anyone you run into in the public lands or anywhere you go, you need to control the interaction with people and make them think twice about doing anything stupid. Thats one of the reasons I have a giant 45 auto in my hip holster.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:58 am

I hunted a piece of land a few years back (and will be one again this year for gun season this year) that is a very large chunk of land. After I had shot my buck I went and grabbed my climber and as I set it down I happen to look up into an old oak tree and could see old large nails in the tree. You could tell they had been there for a LONG time. I could only see about 6 but they were put up to climb the tree to hunt. I didn't really think of someone else thought this was a good spot, but more about what the hunting was like when this person put these in. How much different hunting was back then. I had a brand new climber and he hunted off of a wood plank and used nails for steps. I even took a short video on how hunting has changed. There was also an old indian campsite near there, so within a few hundered yards hunting over the years had gone from spears and primitive bows, to recurves and blackpowder, to compounds and slug guns. For a american history nerd like me, it was kind of neat to think about.
Badger
500 Club

Unread postby Badger » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:25 am

Bigb wrote:I hunted a piece of land a few years back (and will be one again this year for gun season this year) that is a very large chunk of land. After I had shot my buck I went and grabbed my climber and as I set it down I happen to look up into an old oak tree and could see old large nails in the tree. You could tell they had been there for a LONG time. I could only see about 6 but they were put up to climb the tree to hunt. I didn't really think of someone else thought this was a good spot, but more about what the hunting was like when this person put these in. How much different hunting was back then. I had a brand new climber and he hunted off of a wood plank and used nails for steps. I even took a short video on how hunting has changed. There was also an old indian campsite near there, so within a few hundered yards hunting over the years had gone from spears and primitive bows, to recurves and blackpowder, to compounds and slug guns. For a american history nerd like me, it was kind of neat to think about.

That does make you wonder..very cool..one of the public places I hunt had what was left of a old stone homestead I loved that spot. I used to sit there as a kid and squirrel hunt, I always tried to imagine what life was like back then and who lived there..They recently logged that woods and bulldozed the site. I was very upset to see that I had been going to that spot for 20 years. It made me sad they would do that for no good reason.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”