Hill Country Bucks changing bedding areas during wind shift

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Hill Country Bucks changing bedding areas during wind shift

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:48 am

It seems like this topic comes up every year but I haven't been able to find it in the searches.

Say a wind shifts from steady N to steady NW or something similar. I'd imagine we could expect a buck to get up, move 30 yards to another spot on the knob he's bedding on, and sit back down, or stay put. But, what if the wind changes markedly? For instance, tomorrow the wind is predicted to be out of the NNW in the morning, which should dictate his bedding location. However, over the course of say 9am to noon, the wind shifts to the SSW. This could easily be enough that he would potentially have to move hundreds of yards to a new ridge or knob to find a leeward spot to bed. In your experience, will a buck move midday to take advantage of the new wind? Or will he tend to stay put in the spot he initially bedded.

I ask because this could provide a mid day ambush as well as affect the approach for an afternoon hunt.

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Bucks changing bedding areas during wind sh

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:17 am

I think its possible especially where there is light pressure. Now you put a bunch of guys on a couple hundred acres and I highly doubt it.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:47 am

ttt
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:17 pm

I am sure some bucks would make the move... But, I think most would not make long moves. This is the main reason ( I believe ) that bucks choose primary bedding on points that cover all but one wind direction, and that being the least likely, like here in the midwest east is least likely so primary bedding is usually on East pointed points...
My biggest buck ever with a gun, I watched bed in the same spot a lot... It was great for a West wind and just about impossible for me to beat... I crawled up and shot him in his bed on the rare East wind that came midday thanksgiving day. There was no where "close" for him to go on that wind so he stayed put and he died for it.
Here is a link to the article about that buck, but it don't explain the wind shift real well...
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1349

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”