New land and other questions.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JPH

New land and other questions.

Unread postby JPH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:20 am

Yesterday, my buddies dad broke down and gave me permission to hunt 120 acres reclaimed farm land (not worked) that was on my hitlist. I am the only one hunting the land (they don't hunt). It has not been hunted for the 8 years they have owned it. I know there are a couple 140+ bucks on this property because I've passed them on my way in and out over the past couple years. I believe there is an overpopulation, ive seen packs of up to 15 does in his garden. I plan to put the smack down on these slick heads and thin out some the herd[img][img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img].

I have found a couple intersecting trails just above the bedding area, and have placed a stand accordingly.

I have a few questions seeing we are a week or two from nirvana.

Is it too late to put out a mineral site?

I have used mock scrapes before succcessfully, Is it too late to begin a couple.

On the far left corner of this property it buts up against 2 farms. Looking twoards the back of the property. To the left is a gasline and then Hardwoods, Straight ahead is a picked bean field. I have set up a stand 50 yards off the gas line and 30 yards in from the field edge. My buddies dad who is selectively harvesting the timber and cleaning up some of the blow downs from Storms this summer the has seen as recently as Wednesday evening a slobberknocker (160+) regularly cross from the hardwoods in the evening come in 30 yards and cut up onto the field edge. I know from talking to neighbors the farmer that has the bean field. Both of these land owners are animal lovers and have made it known in the area that they do not like hunters. I have begun trying to contact them to see if I shoot something and it goes on their land, if I can haver permission to recover. I have a feeling based on conversations with my buddies dad, that may not be possible.

Until I'm able to get permission should I wait and use that stand for gun season, I 'll have a better chance knocking it down in its tracks with my muzzleloader? Do I chance it, and hope it doesn't double back or jump out in the field ? Do I Shoot and recover it after dark? I'm kidding i won't tresspass, for fear of losing this spot and i hate confrontations when your hunting, cause they can go south in a hurry. How can i get this deer if I cant get permission? I know how contriversial this topic is but it is legal to bait in Ohio, while I don't subscribe to this method, however it may be the only way to draw this deer off the edges.
Try to set a mock scrape line leading him away from the corner?

Also should I be worried that the land owner likes to walk his dog around the property? He has said if he sees my truck he won't but he will when I'm not there, I know one of his trails skirts a bedding area , however it hasn't seemed to affect the deer from using it.

i will attach an image of the land. please comment if you see somewhere else I should be keying in on. I have extra stands . I figured i didn't want to do too much scouting and upset the apple cart

JPH

"As I've grown older, I've come to realize that hunting and fishing rank right up there with Pizza, Beer and Sex....even when it's bad it's still pretty good!"
JPH

Re: New land and other questions.

Unread postby JPH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:15 am

JPH

"As I've grown older, I've come to realize that hunting and fishing rank right up there with Pizza, Beer and Sex....even when it's bad it's still pretty good!"
JPH

Unread postby JPH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:17 am

JPH

JPH

Unread postby JPH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:20 am

JPH

JPH

Unread postby JPH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:39 am

Finally got the picture loaded
copper/displayimage.php?pid=1729
JPH

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:02 am

Any fears about not being able to recover the deer are legit. Its one thing I think many people forget to try to figure out before the kill, so kudos to you.

If you get a firm no from the neighbors...then that makes the area unhuntable with a bow in my opinion. Be upset now...or really freaking upset after connecting with a buck on ground you can't get to. Gun? Well, sending one through the shoulders is possible.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:53 am

My biggest concern with what you said is that you actually contacted the neighbors and asked questions about recovering a deer. If they are animal lovers then there is a chance they may pay a visit to the landowner of the property that you hunt and convince him it's a bad idea to let you hunt. On more than one occassion I have lost or been denied access because a nosey animal loving neighbor found out I was hunting so and so's property. I would hunt how you want to hunt and worry about the intangibles later. Broadcasting that you have permission to hunt in an area that is full of animal lovers will only hurt you IMO. Looks like a good piece, goodluck!
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
JPH

Unread postby JPH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:16 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Droptyne I have tried to get in touch with them unsuccessfully. I gotta do some thinking about this now, I didn't even think about the ramifications that way. :think:
JPH

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:18 am

I would not go in and lay the smack down on slickheads either in this situation (I probably would not even kill does unless the landowner asked me to)... I would be super stealth! I would even go to the point of parking where I cannot be seen (walking in and out cautiously) and take deer out in the dark. I think droptyne makes a super valid point...

You advertise and you are gonna have neighbors complaining or worse yet invite someone else to ask for permission and when that happens the landowner may not want to deal with it = no hunting once again
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:27 am

Yup. Exactly. The less people that know, the better.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
JPH

Re: New land and other questions. A report from last night.

Unread postby JPH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:22 pm

I've decided to let that spot sit vacant until gun season ...if I need it. Now that has been decided can anyone help me with the other original questions? Thanks!

Spent last night in the woods at my other stand. It rained alot harder than was predicted. I figured it was the best thing to do for the first hour, seeing I could move quietly and any foot drags would be covered by the sound of the rain, also my scent would be washed away. i spent the last hour and a half in the stand only to find my rain gear has lost its water resistance. :twisted: Came home and ordered a bottle of Granger's . Never saw a thing. It was the first time I could get out this season and it gave me a chance to go and get the bad hunt out of the way (something always go wrong on the first hunt...and it did) Even though it was a bust I still say Hunting is like Pizza, Beer and Sex...Even if it's bad it's still pretty good! :D

Dan expect an order forthcoming.
JPH

Crazinamatese

Re: New land and other questions. A report from last night.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:04 am

JPH wrote:I've decided to let that spot sit vacant until gun season ...if I need it. Now that has been decided can anyone help me with the other original questions? Thanks!

Spent last night in the woods at my other stand. It rained alot harder than was predicted. I figured it was the best thing to do for the first hour, seeing I could move quietly and any foot drags would be covered by the sound of the rain, also my scent would be washed away. i spent the last hour and a half in the stand only to find my rain gear has lost its water resistance. :twisted: Came home and ordered a bottle of Granger's . Never saw a thing. It was the first time I could get out this season and it gave me a chance to go and get the bad hunt out of the way (something always go wrong on the first hunt...and it did) Even though it was a bust I still say [glow=red]Hunting is like Pizza, Beer and Sex...Even if it's bad it's still pretty good![/glow] :D

Dan expect an order forthcoming.

Well said. :lol:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 am

Is it too late to put out a mineral site?

Yes... Minerals seem to attract better in spring and summer.

I have used mock scrapes before succcessfully, Is it too late to begin a couple.

No, its not to late, but I would think you would better spend your time hunting and scouting...

Also should I be worried that the land owner likes to walk his dog around the property? He has said if he sees my truck he won't but he will when I'm not there, I know one of his trails skirts a bedding area , however it hasn't seemed to affect the deer from using it.

It may hurt a little bit, but deer will get used to him and tolerate his behavior. If he walks the same trail every day, it should not matter much.

It seems like your more worried about the neighbors property, but those bucks will travel yours too, especially during rut.
JPH

Unread postby JPH » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks Dan I appreciate the help. You got a awesome site, I find myself on it more and more. There is sooooo much new info to look at and digest. I find myself wanting to try all different things and don't have the time. I've alread started looking for cattail beds in the area when I've had to run errands, and I have just got this property...Jeeze. I can't imagine once i order your book and dvd'sI'll be completely screwed up :confusion-confused: .

The only reason I am worried about the adjacent lands is that the only confirmed crossing that anyone has ever seen the slobberknocker. The land ownwer has seen this a couple times before i saw it, which probably is a pattern, the area is on the map on the NE corner of the property I hate the to kill an animal, let alone one of this caliber, and not get to recover it legally. That's my concern. I was hoping someone had a good suggestion of what i could do legally?
JPH

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”