so you just got a new spot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

so you just got a new spot

Unread postby Dor » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:30 am

Oct 19th. Never been there before. 115;acres and thick stuff mixed with again fields.

How do you proceed?

Hunt it?
Scout it in foot?

What would you do?

This should be good discussion. I have this exact situation now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Bucky

Re: so you just got a new spot

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:05 am

Topo aerial drive around it... fIrst day I would plan to hunt it would be soon... wolf on the back and proceed to areas that look good on map... if I hit something good on way in I hunt otherwise I keep moving to area on topo... I would also bring a trail camera and drop it on a field edge scrape with good over hanging branch to get idea of what is in the vicinity

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:14 am

Better question might be why did you choose to obtain access to said property.... doubt it was a random act :mrgreen:

Last edited by Bucky on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:44 am

My honest answer, I'm scouting It now before the pre rut gets going. Or quite possibly I'll do some observation sits to area's that have my Interest.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:51 am

Good ideas here...I would add scout in the rain if possible. Get a few spots in ur head for the pre-rut

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:43 am

I would do semi-scouts/semi-hunts. Meaning go in with the intent of finding a spot that looks like it could have bedding nearby but also could be good for the rut. But be stealthy calculated in your travel routes. While out there you might as well hunt. Doing this over the next few hunts will not only give you a chance at shooting a deer, but you should have a good idea of where to sit once the rut really heats up. This is my strategy at a new piece of public I just learned about a couple weeks ago.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:45 am

corn pile. lol
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:01 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:corn pile. lol

:lol: :lol:
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:48 am

Ask the owner what he or she knows about the deer/ground.
Aerial
Glass
FTI
Kill
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:21 am

You already know how to read maps and how it translates into what you're going to see when you put your feet on the ground. I'd look at aerials/topos and pick out 3-5 spots that you think will be good. Go directly to them and find transition points in between them. 115 acres with some fields? You should be able to scout it in 2 hrs or less and be able to come away with enough knowledge to effectively hunt it.

With the rain we have right now, I would've put on the rubber boots and scouted it at mid-day(since your post was at 7:30 this morn).
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:40 am

I would see if you have it to yourself.Alot of new spots turn out to be not so new to someone else.Either trespassers or people that have hunted it for years.Unless the person that gave you permission has hunted it and kept people off regularly assume the worst.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:12 am

I gotta say I LMAO at the corn pile post. Good stuff!!! :clap:
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Topo/ariel cyber scout. Find your classic rut pinches,saddles, benches. Verify with stand on your back. I dont think you've learned anything new so far. LoL. Good luck. Im sure a plan is already in place!

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Bucky wrote:if I hit something good on way in I hunt otherwise I keep moving to area on topo...

Can you expand a little more on "something good"? This is something I constantly find myself struggling with.. "hot sign", "something good", etc.. Guys that can walk into the woods with the stand on their back and find "something good" to set up on - what are they seeing that the majority of people arent?
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:33 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:I would do semi-scouts/semi-hunts. Meaning go in with the intent of finding a spot that looks like it could have bedding nearby but also could be good for the rut. But be stealthy calculated in your travel routes. While out there you might as well hunt. Doing this over the next few hunts will not only give you a chance at shooting a deer, but you should have a good idea of where to sit once the rut really heats up. This is my strategy at a new piece of public I just learned about a couple weeks ago.

This is what I been doing this year ^^^. It has been good and bad experience. Its been good because I have found bedding areas some good travel routes, been seeing deer, and have not spooked any deer out yet that I know of. The bad part is going to deep sometimes and losing daylight while not finding any productive areas to set up, and then gotta back track and set up an observation stand instead of a kill stand. Its all fine tuning. I want to put down a big buck this year and I have confidence I can do it.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”