Bucks around, but little sign....frustrating!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Bucks around, but little sign....frustrating!

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:06 pm

My second child was born in the spring and that really cut into my scouting time this year. I haven't been able to find any buck beds on the farms and areas I hunt. I bought an Alpha and sticks for this season and I've taken the approach of scouting with the stand on my back and setting up on hot sign.

What I've been running into however is that I can barely find any buck sign at all. I've been walking transition lines and getting as close to where I suspect the bucks are bedding, but there isn't much sign that excites me. Do you guys run into this a lot and if so, do you still hunt in the area? I know there are bucks around that I would shoot as I see them shining as well as get random pics of them.

One of my best spots where I've shot a couple bucks is virtually devoid of buck sign, but its in a very good travel route that turns on in the rut. Thinking back over all of my years of archery hunting and the earliest I've ever gotten a shot at a mature buck has been October 28th.

I guess I'm just frustrated that I haven't been able to get on good bucks prior to the rut. That's more of an accomplishment to me than shooting a whopper buck that's all gooned up and careless in the rut.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Bucks around, but little sign....frustrating!

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:32 pm

This time of year is always slower buck movement than say November 1st. It would be normal not to see many bucks this time of year. Most good bucks are killed in November (they are on their feet more). I think people are underestimating the difficulty of killing a buck out of its bed. Dan makes it look easy, but he is arguably the best in the world at it. Don't expect to do as well as Dan, it could be a psychological wound.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Re: Bucks around, but little sign....frustrating!

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:18 pm

To kill Em in a bed or early takes a local where they live.... Big bucks don't live everywhere. Sometimes staying out is better than going when the timing is not right.... Is it next week yet! I'm getting "itchy"

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”