Question about one of Andre's tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Question about one of Andre's tactics

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:15 am

In another post, Dan talked about how in the past, Andre would walk upwind of a buck bedding area and quickly go set up on the other side of the bedding area and ended up shooting the buck as he snuck out. Was this a smaller bedding area that he could quickly get on stand without the deer getting slipping out before he got on stand? I’m surprised that the buck did not slip out immediately after he walked by, rather it waited a bit and then slipped out. Dan, any other details about this hunt would be great!

backstraps

Re: Question about one of Andre's tactics

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:20 am

Very interesting topic. I too was curious when reading Dans post.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 am

I've actually tried this a few times, no luck but I can't say for sure if the buck was there or not. What I think Andrea was doing was trying to let the buck catch his scent from a distance but not spook him out of the bed. Then go setup on the back side of the bedding area and hope that the buck would stage there instead of where he walked upwind of the buck.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 am

You wanna talk about thinking outside of the box... thats thinking outside the box defined!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:19 am

headgear wrote:I've actually tried this a few times, no luck but I can't say for sure if the buck was there or not. What I think Andrea was doing was trying to let the buck catch his scent from a distance but not spook him out of the bed. Then go setup on the back side of the bedding area and hope that the buck would stage there instead of where he walked upwind of the buck.

Headgear is correct... However, the bucks seemed to get nervous and come out earlier than usual. They did not just bust out as long as Andrae kept walking and never stopped or walked towards them.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am

I've done a similar tactic during rifle season from 200-300 yards.

Basically I kept pushing deer from thick spot to thick spot and decided to hang my coat on a tree then circle downwind.

Shot a fat Spike (certainly not in Andrea's category but a nice memory for me)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am

dan wrote:
headgear wrote:I've actually tried this a few times, no luck but I can't say for sure if the buck was there or not. What I think Andrea was doing was trying to let the buck catch his scent from a distance but not spook him out of the bed. Then go setup on the back side of the bedding area and hope that the buck would stage there instead of where he walked upwind of the buck.

Headgear is correct... However, the bucks seemed to get nervous and come out earlier than usual. They did not just bust out as long as Andrae kept walking and never stopped or walked towards them.

WOW that is a brillant tactic. I can easily see that working. I suppose you would have to be fortunate enough for the buck to be in the bedding area.
Did Andrae see the buck enter the bedding area by chance that morning.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:41 pm

I tried this a couple weeks back, basically walked a point that I couldn't hunt on the wind for that day and let my scent blow into a couple of beds I knew about. I then looped back and cut into the swamp and made another loop out to a little island the deer might head towards. Nothing showed but I figured it was worth a shot.

Did the same thing a couple years back, I knew a buck was bedding in a certain area but didn't have the exact bed so I let my scent float into the area and then setup on the back side of him. Nothing showed up but I learned later on I was right on top of him when I walked by so he probably slipped out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”