I Love the Precision of Using Cold Fronts!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jeff Sturgis

I Love the Precision of Using Cold Fronts!!

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:45 am

Thought I would include some pictures from Monday evening's "Post-Front" sit, and at the same time AGAIN emphasize the importance of cold fronts in deer hunting. I feel outside of the phases of the rut, cold and wind influences 70-80% of movement triggers.

Friday October 12th offered high winds and approaching rain. Saturday the 13th and into Sunday 2" of rain dropped and between the high winds, rain, and a continual chaos of noises within the woods, the deer were pinned down, stressed...and hungry. Deer are rhythmic pattern feeders, feeding 5 times per day, and when various opportunities are suppressed they need to make up for it! At the same time
increased stress levels equal a loss of energy so during a strong front deer are subject to a two-pronged attack of HUNGER.

Last weekends "double whammy" of hunger pains produced an outstanding reduced-wind feeding trigger for the "perfect" evening sit. It had been 4 days since the last quiet evening and the deer were ready! During the sit I was able to pass on 5 bucks, including the ones shown within this article, as well as 6 more! The two oldest pair were 4 and 5 years of age, and offered shots of less than 20 yards while both groomed each other and sparred for over a 1/2 hour. Another pair of 3 year olds enjoyed sparring 200 yards away and the entire evening of "all the boys" hanging out within the CRP and small food plots continued into the cover of darkness.

What a great sit...and a very precise set of Mid-October conditions to offer a predictable quality opportunity. The time to hunt these conditions is as soon as the front has passed, and the winds quiet down. Even if the following day is slightly colder, the majority of the wind and rain induced feeding triggers have passed with the first, quieter conditions.

Looking ahead there is another front passing by Thursday evening, another next Tuesday...and you can bet I will be sitting in a stand catching the next precision bowhunting opportunity!

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
Stump

Re: I Love the Precision of Using Cold Fronts!!

Unread postby Stump » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:58 am

Great piece of info. Now if these fronts ending only happened on the weekends when I'm able to hunt, I would be set! haha
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:01 am

Jeff - u definitely got my attention... I watching and listening to what you have to share....thanx!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:37 am

Stump wrote:Great piece of info. Now if these fronts ending only happened on the weekends when I'm able to hunt, I would be set! haha

I hear ya, a guy almost has to be retired to take advantage of any of these cold front or moon day hunts.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:23 am

Wow....I admire your patience to pass on a 5 year old buck with a bow.

I have been reading your posts about the cold fronts. Thanks for sharing and contribution. It seems cold fronts work out alot better in the evening than morning. The night before a cold front came through I had a great public land buck come in but missed him. You think the post-cold front is better or pre-cold front? I have always had better luck right before the front comes in when its evening. Just my experience here.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 am

Bucky wrote:Jeff - u definitely got my attention... I am watching and listening to what you have to share....thanx!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

X2.......!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Wow....I admire your patience to pass on a 5 year old buck with a bow.

I have been reading your posts about the cold fronts. Thanks for sharing and contribution. It seems cold fronts work out alot better in the evening than morning. The night before a cold front came through I had a great public land buck come in but missed him. You think the post-cold front is better or pre-cold front? I have always had better luck right before the front comes in when its evening. Just my experience here.

I love right after the front...either hunting on the quiet side of a ridge, or during the following quiet winds. Also...most of my oldest bucks have come in the morning following a front, and I am just starting to think about getting into my best morning sits. Friday morning of this week will find me in a great morning stand...maybe even Sat. morning. I like pre too...as long as the winds are light, and it's not real warm. I am thinking about those drizzly, damp, , quiet, dark...pre-front evenings...awesome!

And yes...being retired would help!!:) I feel extremely lucky to do this for a living...fitting my writing and sending out books, around my hunting at this time of the year! Also I have been scheduling site visit clients from Dec. through the end of March too...but I still have 2 months before those start. Thank God I love hunting! :D
Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”