Blocking a travel route

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Blocking a travel route

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 am

While looking over some maps of a piece of land I used to hunt a few years ago, I got to thinking.

The is a long point that has a 75 foot waterfall and ravine on one side and the other side of the long point is so thick, a hunter cannot walk through it. You would have to cut a path. I used to hunt at the waterfall some when the wind would allow it. Most times the wind would swirl so bad there.
However on the thick side of the point there was a creek at the base of the ravine that feed into the waterfall.

This creek had three major deer crossings. These crossings were open areas maybe 5-8 feet wide.

I was thinking, I may go in there this coming spring and figure out a way to closing two of these creek crossings. Then hunt the one remaining open. I am curious if a person could actually block a creek crossing or would the deer simply go around the obstructions I made?

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: Blocking a travel route

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 am

Depends on what you use and how well you use it. I would think chicken wire or those fences people put up to protect from snow would work very well

[ Post made via Android ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:28 am

Well its on public, so I wouldnt want to use anything that wasnt natural. There are some really large trees blown down around there. I had thought about blocking it up with some big limbs and alots of them?!?!?!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 am

Oh, and being on public, one thing that is good.... I probably hunted that particular area for 4-5 years back when I would hunt a stand for three days straight at a time....I only seen one other person back there. He was dressed in regular clothes, maybe hiking? So I wouldnt have too much worry over other hunters finding my handy work and setting up on my idea hopefully.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am

backstraps wrote:Well its on public, so I wouldnt want to use anything that wasnt natural. There are some really large trees blown down around there. I had thought about blocking it up with some big limbs and alots of them?!?!?!

Yes that is what I would do.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”