Walking in during gray light?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stump

Walking in during gray light?

Unread postby Stump » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:38 am

Next weekend(27 & 28) I have a couple spots that I'd like to hit, but I've never been able to scout them other than from aerials/topos. In an effort to not sound like a freight train walking around looking for a tree, I thought about trying to go in at gray light as some of you have suggested before.

->When specifically is this gray light or what time do you like to head out? Let's say that sunrise is at 7:30, so therefore legal shooting light would be 7:00.
->I'm guessing that I would have about a 20 min walk to these places, so what time would you leave the truck?

I will be accessing these spots from a field and heading into the timber. I will be at 1 of the 3 red dots, just depends on what the wind is going to be that day.

bones09

Re: Walking in during gray light?

Unread postby bones09 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 am

If it was my first time into this spot and i didn't have a specific tree in mind i would probably wait until an afternoon hunt to make my move in. I'm no expert tho.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 am

I would not go in at gray light... I would not go in in the dark either... I would go in after sunrise. Let the morning movement die down for cruising spots like you chose... But get there before cruising starts... Which if you get on stand around 7 or 8 am, should be fine, Most of the bucks you see cruising will come thru between 9am and 2 pm... Check the cruising times in the moon time thread...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:26 am

Make sure you use the contour of the land for your approach in the daylight. Traveling the hill tops to access your stand can high light your presence if you don't stay below the top. I think Dan is spot on letting the morning activity subside before walking through it. It is hard to discipline yourself sometimes but it will pay dividends in the end.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:32 am

In what instances would you go in at gray light then?
redz

Unread postby redz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:47 am

Is going in after sunrise for daylight cruising mainly a rut tactic?
Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:52 am

Stump wrote:In what instances would you go in at gray light then?

When you have a specific stand location established. When you can sneak in without detection. Stealth is the name of the game.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58 am

redz wrote:Is going in after sunrise for daylight cruising mainly a rut tactic?

It is a stealth tactic to minimize your presence to the deer. Any time of the season. Being able to be in the stand at day break undetected is the best. But if you are bumping deer getting into to the stand you are defeating the purpose.
redz

Unread postby redz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:33 am

Stanley wrote:It is a stealth tactic to minimize your presence to the deer. Any time of the season. Being able to be in the stand at day break undetected is the best. But if you are bumping deer getting into to the stand you are defeating the purpose.

Makes sense. I backed out this morning for that reason. I was just telling my wife before I left that I prefer afternoon hunts, because going into new spots before sunrise with a mobile setup can be a pain sometimes. Lo and behold, I got halfway down the trail into the woods and my flashlight died! Instead of fumbling around in the dark and kickiing up that buck I've been looking for, I just backed out. Hopefully going back later.
Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:52 pm

I agree with Dan. Come in shortly after daylight. Its the "calm before the storm" in November.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”