Deer Bedding changes/factors

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Deer Bedding changes/factors

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:20 am

I've noticed out of all the deer beds and bedding areas I've hunted so far this year It has changed dramatically from when I scouted in the winter/springtime to now. There are many factors that could cause this crops/time of year/pressure/drought.

I've noticed some beds are being used the way I scouted them out, but most are not even there. Vacant, no sign or rubs. I think the main factor of this is the drought weve been having. Hopefully with this nice rainfall we just had here in WI, it maybe will kick them to beds I have marked on my gps last year when it was wet. I went out scouting and put some trail cameras up in the rain and found a big buck bed in pure cattails no hump or nothing. It has been being used HEAVILY, lots of sign, lots of tore up shrubs. I actually walked through this same area last year scouting and there was nothing there. But looking at a map it looked good, so I decided to walk through it again. Sure enough. Less than 100 yards from a heavily traveled road. Can't wait to hunt it.

So if you have done your scouting and your not seeing deer look at your map of your hunting area and think of areas that WERE underwater that looked good. Good chance they are there. Something to think about.

Dewey

Re: Deer Bedding changes/factors

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:44 am

Great observation! 8-)

That is the exact same thing I am seeing. There are some primary beds still being used but deer are really scattered now especially in marshes. With all the rain we just got I see water levels came up some so that may force them back to main beds.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am

Dewey wrote:Great observation! 8-)

That is the exact same thing I am seeing. There are some primary beds still being used but deer are really scattered now especially in marshes. With all the rain we just got I see water levels came up some so that may force them back to main beds.

They are still bedding in REALLY GOOD LOOKING BEDS I found (primary bedding) but not in other OK to GOOD looking spots. Spot on to what I am seeing to Dewey. And that's exactly what I'm hoping too! :mrgreen:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Good post and info... How do you guys determine a bed to be primary or just a bed occasionally being used?

Do you consider a bed that has multible rubs with rubs that varies a few years a primary bed?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 pm

backstraps wrote:Good post and info... How do you guys determine a bed to be primary or just a bed occasionally being used?

Do you consider a bed that has multible rubs with rubs that varies a few years a primary bed?

I'm interested in this too (primary beds) vs secondary beds. I would guess a primary bed if it is only hunted a couple times a year under the right conditions one would expect to see a good buck?

For those of you that scout a lot and hunt beds, how many primary beds have you found and are huntable?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 pm

I've noticed this as well. Spots that use to be too wet are now prime. And spots that were just wet enough are now too dry. It's a little frustrating. The only saving grace seems to be that these changes might reflect on exact beds but generally a good bedding area will have slight shifts and still overall be good but to know exact bedding another scout of the area will be in order.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm

I guess I would call primary bedding a bed that is always being used. I have found some beds that on both sits over that bed or bedding area there are deer and usually bucks.

Other beds I sat over and nothing came out.

I am just a beginner in the bed hunting though...I would like to know what others classify primary bedding and secondary bedding as.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:51 am

TTT

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:22 am

backstraps wrote:Good post and info... How do you guys determine a bed to be primary or just a bed occasionally being used?

Beds that are food based, beds that are in cover that opens up later in the season, are usually "common" beds... Primary bedding areas generally have multiple beds that are worn out from lots of use. There are often rubs in the bedding area of differing heights and sizes, at least this is the case in areas with a decent population... Primary bedding areas are often in good cover in areas seldom traveled by humans. The key feature is if unmolested, there are usually bucks bedded there any given day.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:38 am

Finding a ton of beds just like this in the dried up cattails.

The rain we had did absolutely nothing so the scattered bedding will continue.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:42 am

How do you guys try and stay on top of the shifting bedding pattern with this year drought?

Do you have to spend more time in observation stands? I dont have marshes or acres of cattails around me...but would love to hunt them someday.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:59 am

backstraps wrote:How do you guys try and stay on top of the shifting bedding pattern with this year drought?

Do you have to spend more time in observation stands? I dont have marshes or acres of cattails around me...but would love to hunt them someday.

It's been tough for me since I have never dealt with conditions as dry as we are experiencing this year. This season is a learning experience for me as well but I am still sticking to primary beds that have been used for years and years. Different bucks rotate thru them every year and they are pretty predictable. Seems like they are pretty hit and miss this year though.

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:01 am

Dewey wrote:Finding a ton of beds just like this in the dried up cattails.

The rain we had did absolutely nothing so the scattered bedding will continue.

I have found beds very similiar to thit but usually brush or cover nearby. Makes it hard to figure them out. I walked through the cattails Sunday during the rain...not even close to filling up with water.. :cry:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”