Calling

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arrowbender
500 Club

Re: Calling

Unread postby Arrowbender » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:30 am

Wow. Great posts.
James has pretty much said it all. The only thing I would add is that blind calling is really not that different than what a lot of you are doing already. We are just reaching out to deer that we can't see as opposed to those that aren't cooperating. The basis for my success at blind calling surly came about as a product of all the collateral deer called in while trying to persuade an uncooperative deer in. I am surprised that more of you havent ever had that happen.
Another misconception is the whole thing about
Bucks circling downwind. Sure it can happen but plenty walk straight in from their bed. So it is really in the set up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:31 am

Good post James and others. I did get my first beast buck by calling, saw a tamerack getting worked over next to a bedding area, the buck was on his feet but moving paralell to the island I was hunting. Two grunts and he cam charging in, being public land he did hold up just off the island for a good half hour before I finally got arrow into him just before dark. However, I can't say I would have gotten that buck had I not called to him. Like you said the timing and location have to be spot on but it does work.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Arrowbender wrote:Wow. Great posts.
James has pretty much said it all. The only thing I would add is that blind calling is really not that different than what a lot of you are doing already. We are just reaching out to deer that we can't see as opposed to those that aren't cooperating. The basis for my success at blind calling surly came about as a product of all the collateral deer called in while trying to persuade an uncooperative deer in. I am surprised that more of you havent ever had that happen.
Another misconception is the whole thing about
Bucks circling downwind. Sure it can happen but plenty walk straight in from their bed. So it is really in the set up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

AB agree with your blind calling thoughts, but can't say that i have had collateral deer come in when calling to another deer I can see, just not many deer I guess where we are hunting.
Also believe it is a misconception that every deer circles downwind, when you get a buck to respond to rattling/calling, some will circle, some will charge in, some will sneak in, some will just stand there and watch motionless. Not sure if it's just a certain bucks personality or what mood he is in at that time. Guess the thing to remember is that when they do respond, they come in looking for another deer, maybe that is why some guys swear by using a decoy, to give a buck visual confirmation of what they heard.
With the setup we try to use what we call forced exposure, have a opening, lake, beaver pond downwind of our setup. Something a buck can't or doesn't want to cross. Would take it that you both are bowhunting with early season tactics, do you adjust tactics during rut? Mostly treestand or ground when rattling/calling? Frequency of calling? How long will you stay in a spot before relocating?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”