Severe lull anyone?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

Re: Severe lull anyone?

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:07 pm

Have not seen a deer in 6 sits. Extremely frustrating as these spots were crawling with deer during shining in the summer. The first couple were probably my fault for not practicing enough with stand but come at least give me a shot at a doe. I hate playing the rut game as I had high hopes to be tagged out by now. Still fun just frustrating. I have a couple more spots but those will have to wait till after the rut as I won't be hunting till the 27th due to work and family stuff.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 am

Not seeing any lull here in SW Wi. was out last friday afternoon and had good movement right up til dark, now that being said they were does and young bucks, but that is typical for the stand we hunted this time of the year. I generally don't see mature bucks in that spot unless it is the first week of season or the rut and after. But obviously if food changes (ie: crops all picked) feeding patterns and deer sightings will change as well. The lull seems to be about the same every year where I hunt, unless abnormal pressure pushes them more nocturnal, and it usually occurs about the second week through the 25th of Oct.

The reason we hunted the stand we did on Friday was that I had seen a buck chasing a doe the day before in that same area and figured it might be the first doe to come into estrous, so i didn't want to miss out on an opportunity that a big guy might make a mistake and come out in daylight.........No such luck however as it was 3 different 1.5 year old bucks that we ended up seeing.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:06 am

I've still only seen 3 deer since Oct. 1, but things should change now. I didn't hunt this morning instead went in and walked an extra 1/4 mile to see if they were feeding out the other side of the big, thick honey locust saddle I've been hunting. It's about 1/2 mile wide and about 1 mile long with hardwood ridges and bunch of creek draingages on both sides.

The far side is tore up with sign. Scrapes, rubs (nothing big yet) and leaves are mulch under some white oaks. Now if I can hit one and it don't kill me going back and fourth...I was already at my limit and now adding 1/4 mile more it might. Packing one out will be rough also.

I feel like my season is just starting..it's bad hunting and not seeing deer or sign.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 am

I haven't been out much at all but no lul here. Deer patterns change with the change In food. Farmers taking crops out, frost nipping certain foods. Gotta change with the deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”