Almost On my target buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Almost On my target buck

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:44 am

I was finally able to set up in the exact spot I've been wanting to since I saw this buck in his bed in June. On a west wind he's bedding on the north end (the highest point) of a line of mature trees in the middle of a corn field. I went out this morning @ 4:30 and was up my tree by 5:15 (only three sticks high), set up approximately 35 yards away from his bed. I was expecting him to come from the creek bottom to the south, but he came from the north and straight to his bed. I could see his rear end in the bed and at daylight I realized there are about 1/2 dozen rubs and a dozen scrapes around the south end of the island of trees. At 9:00 he headed back to the north into the corn. I immediately got down and looked at the tracks on the south end of the tree line. Looks like he is heading to the creek in the evenings/nightfall. Should I move closer and get there earlier or sit in the corn a couple rows deep in the evening and see if I can get a crack at him of the ground. I'm sure wants the corns off he'll relocate. O yeah there is a factory somewhat near and I was able to see him walk into his bed @6:30 due to the light pollution. Any thoughts

backstraps

Re: Almost On my target buck

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:32 am

TTT

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:44 am

When I set up in the morning I set up right over the bed, or I set up where they hook into the wind near the bed... Its hard to predict where they come from in the morning, it helps to be able to hit the bed from the tree.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Let us know how you did? Were you able to sneak in on his bed? not being able to get out more than two evening sits this season you got me pumped up! I love morning hunts like these!!!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:18 am

Well I chanced it this morning and went in at 8 a.m., with the wind out of the southwest, I walked the north field edge to the west and then came in from the north west. I was actually proud of myself, I felt like a made a great stalk, pretty stiff wind through standing corn, only moved when the wind was blowing, stayed very disciplined (which I struggle with sometimes and get in a hurry). Had on a tan fleece and tan chaps, crawled the last 70-80 yards, then got to my knees 19 yards away from the rub in his bed and nobody was home. The bed is on the NE corner of the line of trees and I came in from the NW thinking he would be facing the east with the SW wind. Checked it out with my bino's, no fresh tracks, after a real hard rainfall last night. I really wanted to sit all day, but saving the rest of my time off for the next couple of weekends. I'm thinking it may have been too windy for that bed today, 15-20 mph gusts. Didn't see any deer at all, but it was still a blast. Glad I didn't see anything, because about 2/3 's of the way through the stalk I had made up my mind that if there was a deer in that bed he was going to eat a Zwickey.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”