Anybody have any luck hunting with the rain this weekend?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Anybody have any luck hunting with the rain this weekend?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:09 am

I picked a good weekend to go away on vacation with my wife. With all of the rain I don't feel so bad now missing out on a weekend of hunting. Just drove home from Vilas County and it was rain from north to south pretty much down the whole state. Some areas had 3" plus I hear and seen some flooding in fields. This should help the marshes a little and glad to see the rain since I have been very worried about really bad fires breaking out in them. They were scary dry since opening day and one step away from being wiped out by a single accidental fire. :o

I will start hunting again tomorrow and plan on hunting the next 7 days. My boss asked me if I wanted this coming week off without pay since we are way ahead on work and I was gone without a second thought! :dance: Been working way too much overtime this year and needed a break to regain my sanity! After that back to work for 4 days and then my 10 day rut hunt vacation starts! Finally I can put work behind me and focus on hunting. :D

Brad

Re: Anybody have any luck hunting with the rain this weekend

Unread postby Brad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:46 am

I didn't set foot in the woods, the weatherman said rain all day both days so I went and did other things instead. Yesterday it stopped at 1 but stayed cloudy, I could have gone. Today it stopped at 330 and stayed cloudy, I could have gone too. Thanks a lot weatherman!
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:57 pm

I had a lot of movement both Sat and Sun pm sits. Needed these conditions to hunt both stands, and was rewarded with sightings of multiple target bucks, some future year targets, and quite a few does. Best part was that no deer hit my access points, no deer were jumped on way out, and with a little more rain tonight, good chance I got away w/ two sits w/out burning a single bridge.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:52 pm

didn't see a thing .....but kicked out a lot of deer walking out :doh: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:35 pm

I made it out both PM's. I liked the rain but I think I just picked bad spots. Saw a few does.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:11 pm

I just found out that the neighbor was tracking a deer all over his property yesterday and today on the property that I sat today, so that may have played a role in what I saw today. I was a little confused at the deer moving from all directions, which is not normal for this spot, so this is making a little more sense. He hit a big one "a little far back" yesterday, ended up jumping him this afternoon, and I believe it was one of the shooters I saw this evening. I thought he was moving fine, and the neighbor thought when he jumped him that the deer looked fine. thinking he hit it high and back, so probably in the "no zone".

Yesterday was a completely different area, and they were moving well for me there right as the rain let up, then again right before dark.

So, not sure tonight's action was due to rain as much as a bunch of deer being pushed into the property I was on.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:53 am

I was out Saturday afternoon scouting a new public spot. Has a lot of promise as it is difficult to access and has a oak flat that drops off into a thick swamp. A lot of scrapes had been opened that morning based on the leaf litter so I was hoping to catch one freshening them up, but only ended up seeing a hand full of does. Good scouting sit and defiantly an area I will be returning to.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:21 am

I sat Friday and Sunday nights in Pierce county and had awesome weather both sits (no rain).

Deer did not move until last light, super nocturnal right now. Should heat up in a week or two.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by James on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 am

Didn't make it out until last night. Rained a lot on Saturday and I reserve rain hunts for the Rut :D
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 am

Put trail cams out and found a new big buck bed. Didnt hunt. Hittin er hard this weekend. Good luck on ur vacation Dewey!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:49 am

No luck for me.
The three hour drive back home from the gun show in Wichita took almost six hours due to storms..... :o
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 am

Had to work Saturday night. Spent yesterday with the family :D Oh, and fixed a leaky roof :shock: Next weekend looks promising though for a doe hunt ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:15 am

Hunted with Klemz Sunday on a few beds on public, No action :cry:
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:52 am

I saw 4 does and a 6 on Friday night. I sat from 345-til dark. Saturday I didn't see anything as I sat on the edge of a clover field. Yesterday we did a little scouting and jumped a doe and yearling bedded in some popples. I definitely know where I'll be sitting during the rut. If it wasn't such a drag,
I'd take one of those does. I've videotaped them from my stand a few times, even had one come up and smell my sticks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:07 pm

I hunted Friday PM, Saturday AM and PM and Sunday AM. Rain both AMs but I was three hours from home and wasn't going to waste my trip sleeping, in hind sight, sleep would have been just as productive! Friday night kicked 15 or so does out of the standing corn 30 yards in front of me. Didin't see a thing on the stand. Saturday night, made the mile trek to a back stand to check a camera I put out over Labor day. It was 60 and humid and had a horrible time walking in, made it in, but did sweat a bit from the walk. Grabbed the chip and made it in the stand. Put the chip in my camera and had lots of deer, very nice to see. Even had two new great bucks, a 140ish 8 with kickers and a giant 11 that has to be around 160 to 170. Around 5 I hear a noice behind me and there is a nice 7 i've been looking to kill. He had two paths to take, he took the right one.......for him. No clear shot. Oh well. Only deer I saw all weekend not running or under 100 yards. Once the corn is down it should be a different story. Now the 17 day wait until I make it back for 8 days.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”