A big slick head / nanny kill on new property...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

A big slick head / nanny kill on new property...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:55 am

After much debate with myself about should I hunt a new property without proper scouting or not, I decided to say - why not!
Risking a sit verses virgin territory sounded fun and worse case scenario - I would have to wait a few more weeks to settle down if I messed it up...
This was one of my new spots I've been eyeballing and rolled the dice, I felt the N/NW would work well!

It's a nice property surrounded by neighborhoods with a chunk of land aproximately 300 X 600 yards of huntable territiory.
I walked in @ 2 o'clock (from light blue square) and traversed the south portion of the swamp edge and noted a trail coming out of the cattails.
I continued toward the end of the swamp (to the west) within 150 yards of the home, headed south into some thick pines and walked deer trails back creating my scouting loop.
Had good FRESH sign! At this point I decided to run a few errands and was back in this spot and setup @ 4:38.

The map shows the red line a my access route to my tree stand which is shown by the red dot.
The deer trail is blue and the 3-Doe's came out @ the deer trail I spied just 3-hours earlier @ 5:20.
They walked very cautiously from the ground scent I had left along with the 15 mph winds.
I saw the Doe I killed first, and thought she was definately large with the two-others in tow,(most likely this years fawn along with her 1.5 year old sister).
It took them 10-minutes to travel the 30-yards where I killed her @ 8-yards slightly quartering away (shown by the white dot).

My view

The deer trail they came out of.

They where a close as 2-yards for a few minutes, I wondered if they would bust me?

When she ducked her head behind this pine I drew my bow while the others where under me, good thing for that strong wind!
If you blow the picture up you can see my nockturnal glowing. After the shot she headed West (green line, died @ purple dot) and the others ran back in the swamp...
I watched her run out of sight about 80-yards away.

I could see my white fletchings where still white so I got down after snapping some photos of the terrain only to find some stomach matter with some white hair (somewhat encouraging).
Found some good blood immediately and decided to wait until later that night to commence my search.
Tracked her with good blood for about 175 yards and then started getting smaller drops of blood along with maple leaves (red markings are tough to pick blood spots out),
then batteries went dead in my hand flashlight, so I went back the next day.

Went back to my tape marking that I left in the tree at last blood and continued on only to find/remind me of the close proximety of the houses - LOL!

[glow=red]End result = 141 pounds dressed![/glow]

Exit wound

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
kenn1320
500 Club

Re: A big slick head / nanny kill on new property...

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:18 am

Sweet! 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:38 am

Congrats Ed! :dance: :clap: :D
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 am

Nice story, Ed and well done. So what did your boy have to say about all of that?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 am

Congrats Ed. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:04 am

Nice nanny Ed!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:32 am

Good job Ed. Huge doe for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:37 am

Nice

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:50 am

Tadmdad wrote:Nice story, Ed and well done. So what did your boy have to say about all of that?

He's either shell shocked or hasn't come to terms with the fact she has no antlers... He's still calling her a buck!
He said that maybe the next one will have antlers and I need to be patient cause there's still time left :doh:

I had help the next day, my friend Gary that shoots all the big bucks.
When I tell Jake this he says "oh, Gary will definately find her - he finds all his deer" :hand:

I now believe he's a little Focker put on this Earth to bust my chops :D

As soon as he tells me all this, and in the same breath,
he switches the subject and proceeds to tell me how he plugged the school toilet the day before, but wiped his own behind!!!
I almost breeched my tidy whities I laughed so hard... :oops:
Last edited by Edcyclopedia on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:54 am

Nice doe! Congrats Ed! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:06 pm

8-) Great shot that is a good sized doe! Love the blood spatter on BBall :lol: Your son is funny :P
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Tadmdad wrote:Nice story, Ed and well done. So what did your boy have to say about all of that?

He's either shell shocked or hasn't come to terms with the fact she has no antlers... He's still calling her a buck!
He said that maybe the next one will have antlers and I need to be patient cause there's still time left :doh:

When I tell Jake this he says "oh, Gary will definately find her - he finds all his deer" :hand:

he switches the subject and proceeds to tell me how he plugged the school toilet the day before, but wiped his own behind!!!

That is just hilarious :lol: That boy of yours is sure ahead of the curve, but it may be getting close to having the talk about the birds and the bees.

Hate to tell you but they get better at busting you chops....especially as teenagers. :shock: But something tells me that that son of yours has a good teacher, the apple don't fall to far from the tree. :mrgreen:
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Very nice

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:

Never a dull moment with you my friend!! Congratulation's once again!! Keep them kill text messages coming buddy!! That's one of the biggest doe's I've saw In years.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Congratulations Ed.

I just have one more day till I can get out into the woods.

James

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”