Deer movement with strong low pressure weather system.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Deer movement with strong low pressure weather system.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:31 am

I have a few questions about deer movement with a low pressure weather system. Its expected to rain most of the day today. Which is good. I decided since I have no rain gear, I will spend my day indoors. This low pressure system is actually pretty strong. Its one of those big weather makers that come out of the Rockies and usually bring us heavy snow fall in the winter. Forecast calls for heavy to moderate rain for the upper midwest, and severe storms for the central parts of the country. Tomorrow, the low pressure system clears out, winds shift and begin to blow out of the NW with partly cloudy skies. Would it be wise to get in the woods tomorrow and expect some good deer movement?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Deer movement with strong low pressure weather system.

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I have a few questions about deer movement with a low pressure weather system. Its expected to rain most of the day today. Which is good. I decided since I have no rain gear, I will spend my day indoors. This low pressure system is actually pretty strong. Its one of those big weather makers that come out of the Rockies and usually bring us heavy snow fall in the winter. Forecast calls for heavy to moderate rain for the upper midwest, and severe storms for the central parts of the country. Tomorrow, the low pressure system clears out, winds shift and begin to blow out of the NW with partly cloudy skies. Would it be wise to get in the woods tomorrow and expect some good deer movement?

It looks like rain is going to clear out for our areas this afternoon, might be a good idea to get out there once the rain stops this evening.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:58 am

if the rain stops there should be some good movement, i just cant decide if i should go walleye fishing or hunting tonight. :think:
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
baz59

Unread postby baz59 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:06 am

What are the exact numbers that declare a high or low pressure system?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 am

whitetail007 wrote:if the rain stops there should be some good movement, i just cant decide if i should go walleye fishing or hunting tonight. :think:

I'm headed out duck hunting. should be good.....good luck if you go out tonight. any day in the woods is better than being at work or on the couch. lol.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 am

baz59 wrote:What are the exact numbers that declare a high or low pressure system?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Barometric pressure. I believe a strong low pressure would be somewhere around 28 to 29.9 inHG or (inches of mercury, a unit of measurement for air pressure), and high pressure would be somewhere around 30.3 inHG to 30.5 inHG accompanied with fair weather. 31 inHG or higher would be very dry conditions. The pressure currently at my place is 29.76 and falling.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:57 am

Deer seem to be staying bedded today. Up north here at the feeder deer come in to eat all day long and haven't seen one all day. This is very unusual and can't recall ever seeing so little activity here. Not even raining, just a very light drizzle all day. Yesterday they were non stop with as many as 15 deer feeding at once!! :shock:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:27 am

ive never seen good deer movement with a low pressure front, once it passes they should be out in full force.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:19 am

The rain has been on and off all day here where I live. Kinda nice to see some precip.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I should have went out, it stopped raining around noon though it called for 100% rain for the remainder of the day, I was afraid I would not recover one with the rain and all even if I did get a shot, now I wished I had gone. I wasted what probably would have been a great afternoon hunt only to watch the badger game and then old episodes of Roseanne. :cry:
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Once the rain quit here, there was about an hour left of daylight. Tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”