Double inside corners as funnels

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Double inside corners as funnels

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Anybody have any experience with this kind of terrain feature? I've always known inside corners act as funnels, and that during the rut deer tend to travel in the lee side of the hill. In the picture, would you expect a buck on the leeward side to travel something similar to the yellow line, crossing the "mini ravines" that just out in the field and going straight from inside corner to inside corner? Or would a deer be more likely to take the same elevation, which would take him from one inside corner, up into the field a bit, and then back to the next inside corner?

Bucky

Re: Double inside corners as funnels

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:59 am

I would say your drawing looks accurate as to what I would expect... I like the second square from the right as I suspect there should be another trail that runs the top of that ravine to that inside corner (acting like a draw to the field from the timber below)

Far right square looks good too.. especially if there is a "crows foot" looking ridges that drop down into the timbered bottom... multiples draws all leading up to that high spot doubled with an inside corner. This is what I'm seeing... I would then scout to know for sure... have you walked in the bottoms of those ravines/drainages... are they rocky?

Your far right square, the next inside corner over (to the right) may be better...

This would be a great spot to rifle hunt inbetween the double inside corner to cover both draws coming up :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:23 am

Thanks Bucky. Haven't scouted it yet. I just went to the property for the first time last night and sat in a different spot, and all of the fields are still full of 9 ft tall corn. And there's really no paths cut through it. So its going to be fairly loud and noisy to get back there while the corns up. On the flip side though, I'm sure I have it all to myself for the time being. I saw zero sign of hunters entering from the road. The other thing I like about that spot second from the right is that it looks like there's some pines there. That would provide great tree stand cover as well as another terrain feature to funnel the deer.

I'm going to go back out and scout there fairly soon. Why did you ask if the drainages are rocky? Does it affect how the deer travel around or through them? The land I hunted gun season last year had a rocky drainage and the deer traveled parallel to it quite a bit.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:35 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I'm going to go back out and scout there fairly soon. Why did you ask if the drainages are rocky? Does it affect how the deer travel around or through them? The land I hunted gun season last year had a rocky drainage and the deer traveled parallel to it quite a bit.

Yeah if rocky it can sometimes deter them from crossing it... instead they will parallel just as you have observed (or it can funnel them specifically to cross the drainage in one specific spot :violence-bowandarrow: )
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”