Which days to kill a buck in December?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Which days to kill a buck in December?

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Moon is overhead in the morning on December 6-9

Moon is overhead in the evening on December 17-19

Which time period do you like better to kill a buck?

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
huntinsonovagun

Re: Which days to kill a buck in December?

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Around here (Oklahoma), the bucks are really cruising around the 15th of December. I've never killed a good one during that time frame, but I know several that have. The second dates you listed would be my choice.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:03 am

I like your first choice for second rut reasons. I have seen some good ones chasing late season! Almost killed a dandy on Dec.10th a few seasons ago on a doe.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:26 am

This is WI.

I guess right now Im leaning toward the early time period.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:52 am

Evenings have always been better for me late season. Deer are not real active in the morning in December, especially if it's bitter cold. They will move in the afternoon when it's warmer. However with the remaining does cycling again and the right moon, I think you could have a chance. Regardless food is key. Find what they're eating and you will see deer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:11 am

Where are you hunting (food source vs travel corridors)? If food source I say later date... If hoping to catch a 2nd flurry of rut activity I say 1st date. If hunting beds I would go with weather that helps you get close...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Around here the biggest impact is when the second gun season occurs. This year with Thanksgiving falling early, the second gun season is early and their will be likely a second rut displayed. When Thanksgiving falls a week later, they stay nocturnal through the second rut in December.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm

I like the first for second rut possibilities, but I like the second for being a longer break after the gun seasons. My best late season hunts have been around Christmas, and I'd imagine they get better and better before the season finally ends. I've never had success in the afternoons late season, but have seen plenty of deer in the mornings, kind of the opposite of most people.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:27 pm

NH archery season ends on the 15th...
I would have to go with the later date - for me their will be less hunting pressure - LOL
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:50 am

Its kind of a big woods setting with no large destination food sources in the immediate area. We do have some small food plots.

Relatively high deer numbers with a pretty strong buck presence so far this year.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:20 am

ozzz wrote:Its kind of a big woods setting with no large destination food sources in the immediate area. We do have some small food plots.

Relatively high deer numbers with a pretty strong buck presence so far this year.

How much gun pressure and muzzleloader pressure? If not much I would probably pick the earlier dates
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:03 am

Bucky wrote:
ozzz wrote:Its kind of a big woods setting with no large destination food sources in the immediate area. We do have some small food plots.

How much gun pressure and muzzleloader pressure? If not much I would probably pick the earlier dates

Gun pressure isnt too bad. No gun hunting at all on our piece in particular and generally light in the surrounding area.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 am

following Dan's school of "most years are about the same time" (as my beliefs in the moon are diminishing a bit as i see other factors having much greater influence)...in wNY the second week of December seems to have chasing (to which i would guess is the late born fawns coming into estrus)
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:54 am

I'm not too far from gjs4...last year was the most intense second rut I have ever seen. Although I didn't witness any chasing, the amount of sign that popped back was unreal...old scrapes refreshened with vigor, new ones popping up...new rubs (which was a first for me to see), and clear travel by bucks going from doe bedding to bedding areas (indicated by tracks).

I do have to say, though I much rather prefer the evenings of Thursday and Friday of our muzzleloader season...there's a handful of days break from the end of regular shogtun season. Sure, some people will MZ hunt the Mon-Wed following, but not as many in comparision. In fact...I rarely see folks out doing that. That Thur/Fri seems to really show better sightings in my experience. Sat and Sun bring with it the mz pressure. That Sunday imo is horrible for hunting, as I hardly see any in all of my time hunting that last weekend day of a deer hunting season in wNY. I go out more or less for nostalgic purposes, really.

I find with that Thursday and Friday, I can usually catch at least one night where I've matched up my stand choice with the destination of the deer in the evening. Sometimes that is hard to do here because of smaller tracts...if you don't have the food source late season, you're going to be hurting for sightings.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”