Taking Advantage of October Cold Fronts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jeff Sturgis

Taking Advantage of October Cold Fronts

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:43 am

Last weekend's early October "Feeding Front" was spectacular and delivered some outstanding opportunities for sticking an arrow into a mature buck! My buddy and previous client Cory Wiedel from IA harvested his 5th Booner since I worked with him during February of 2009! Also, a friend of mine from Lower MI, Ken Kozminski, played the feeding front just right to harvest a 230# 5 year old bruiser, which is no small feat in heavily pressured southern lower MI!

The next cold front to watch is the "Pre-Rut Front" and although I will write more about this soon...do not miss one of the best times to be in the woods for the entire season...which is during/following the first major cold front after October 20th. If you wait until November to hit the woods, your neighbor just may be the only one taking advantage of one of the best times to hit the woods! Take a look below at 3 bucks that provided opportunities between the 22nd and 26th of October:, from 2007 to 2011:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
binney59
500 Club

Re: Taking Advantage of October Cold Fronts

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:23 am

Look forward to more info- thanks! By the way, that michigan buck looks like a cow with antlers!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:57 am

Jeff what is the science behind cold fronts gettiing deer to move. You always hear that cold fronts are a good time to be in the woods. Is it that deer are more comfortable moving in the cool temps, do they get the urge to feed more heavily,etc?
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:21 am

Are you telling me that guy shot 5 booners in three years?
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 am

btw, dont you tell those AT pro's anything, according to them you dont know squat
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:34 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Jeff what is the science behind cold fronts gettiing deer to move. You always hear that cold fronts are a good time to be in the woods. Is it that deer are more comfortable moving in the cool temps, do they get the urge to feed more heavily,etc?

x2
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:54 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:Jeff what is the science behind cold fronts gettiing deer to move. You always hear that cold fronts are a good time to be in the woods. Is it that deer are more comfortable moving in the cool temps, do they get the urge to feed more heavily,etc?

x2

Higher feeding rates...increased movement. I have seen discussions of below 50 degree daytime highs, etc. And I have also seen deer activity levels in the morning twice as high as in the evening, and I believe that mornings are much colder than afternoons.

However...what I personally have seen is the period during the front and especially right after the front...are the best times to be in the woods. For example if the 27th of October is 67 degrees...and the 29th is down to a high of 37 and calm...followed by several days in the 30s or 40s...I sure don't want to miss the first 2 days after the front passes!! Seems to be a great trigger!

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:56 am

jlh42581 wrote:btw, dont you tell those AT pro's anything, according to them you dont know squat

What do they do for a living? Not exactly sure what it takes or means to be an AT Pro....

jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 am

jlh42581 wrote:Are you telling me that guy shot 5 booners in three years?

09, 10, 11, and now 2012...and a few in the 160s...he has a testimonial on my site. He hunts his own private lands in NE, IA and KS.

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:35 am

jeff Sturgis wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:btw, dont you tell those AT pro's anything, according to them you dont know squat

What do they do for a living? Not exactly sure what it takes or means to be an AT Pro....

It was a joke about the guys on archery talk blowing off what you have to say. It seems you cant tell anyone on that forum anything. I saw your post over there about cold fronts and KNEW it was coming.
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:42 am

:)
jlh42581 wrote:
jeff Sturgis wrote:

It was a joke about the guys on archery talk blowing off what you have to say. It seems you cant tell anyone on that forum anything. I saw your post over there about cold fronts and KNEW it was coming.

I see :) proly why I like it here...extremely experienced hunters....and they usually have a lot to say! Great way for me to pick up ideas and other thoughts too...

JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:28 am

That is some good info Jeff and thanks for sharing! The sad truth about the other site mentioned, that is the mentality of 75% of the hunters out there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”