Sunflowers and Deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Sunflowers and Deer

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:26 am

I was driving past one of my hunting areas, and noticed that the neighboring farmer to the east, has planted sunflowers. Anybody got experince hunting around them? I have no idea how deer use them, or if they even like them for food or cover. Any help would be greatly appricieated.

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Sunflowers and Deer

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:27 am

I don't know from personal experience, but was told by a farmer that the deer don't mess with them much, but Turkey, coons, and ordinary birds will hit them hard.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:52 am

I was tempted to plant some but later found out they are an attractant for bears. Don't really need any bears messing around my land
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:04 am

One year a farmer planted a field up by the road I drove by all fall. I would see deer in the sunflowers all the time. A lot of this was in the dark in the morning and night would see the eyes and outline with my headlights.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Deer definately love sunflower seeds. We fed them up north at a cabin we rented and they ignored corn for them.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:32 am

We have a lot of sunflower fields around here for dove hunting, and I see tracks through the fields, but I don't see a lot of activity, and I don't see them eating them. They might use them, but I think there's a lot better options out there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”