Stanley, (& others)...,harvesting corn and deer sightings

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Stanley, (& others)...,harvesting corn and deer sightings

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:57 am

I grew up on a farm and ran the corn chopper for silage. We didn't own a combine so that was done by a custom guy. I know Stanley harvest seed corn. there may be others out there as well that have a role in harvesting corn. I can't remember ever chasing deer out while chopping corn silage. My question is: How many deer do use see run out of the corn as you are harvesting it?

JakeJD
500 Club

Re: Stanley, (& others)...,harvesting corn and deer sighting

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:03 am

I have drove the grain cart many times during harvest. I have never seen a deer flee the field we were picking.

Although, I know many guys that gun hunt corn fields as the farmers finish the last few passes. They basically wait at the end of the field and shoot at the deer as they flee during the last couple of passes. Not my kind of hunting, but I know guys that have been successful that way.
"In the deed, the glory"
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:43 am

I've seen bucks run into standing corn mid day while the combine was about 10 passes away from th entry. All the farmers I know say the deer ain't bothered by the combine at all.
Two seasons ago, I was sitting the edge of an inside corner and decided to move back into the woods a bit. Just as I settled in, I see a 135" 8 point walk up to the corner I relocated from.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 am

If I am going out bowhunting and they are combining the fields...I know exactly where to go usually. They'll dump into the woods alongside, but only when they have to.

I've seen a few bucks who were hard-headed and paid the price...and not from a bullet or arrow. Not pretty.

I do notice that if you have hedgerows in between corn and also woodlots bordering that corn...the deer tend to opt to cross the hedgerow for the next cornfield rather than the woods. Just an observation, but one that I have seen enough times to know that I'm going to get in the hedgerow.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:59 am

I'm wondering how much they actually bed in the corn for the day.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:01 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I'm wondering how much they actually bed in the corn for the day.

My buddy watched two 150" 10 pointers come out of the corn about a month ago, just before dark. He swears they were bedded in the corn all day...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:53 am

I watched a 160s typical materialize from corn on Oct. 1. I am 95% confident he was bedded in it, which really challenges me, because I have not seen too many mature bucks bed in corn unless there are grassy low spots or ditches in it with grass.

But, this guy was much more likely bedding in that corn. He appeared right as the buck I shot got up from his bed, and both were mature 4.5+. His location was too far in my opinion for him to have been bedded anywhere else.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 am

Everything depends on the location of the corn field. If you are out in 2000 acres of corn with no trees around deer are much less likely to hang out there. Now a 100 acres of corn surrounded by timber can be a gold mine. I have seen some very good bucks over the years hang out in corn fields close to timbers. If I know a corn field is going to be harvested and I can hunt the timber next to it I sure will.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”