Leaves dropping: spooked deer ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Leaves dropping: spooked deer ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:29 am

Have you guys ever heard anything about the leaves dropping spooks deer and keeps them pretty holed up this time of year ? I've heard that's what a lot of the " October lull " is all about. The leaves are falling around them at all times, and they don't like all of that movement in the woods, so it keeps them pretty skittish.... I don't know what to think, but it makes sense in a way I guess....

headgear
500 Club

Re: Leaves dropping: spooked deer ?

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 am

I have heard that before and it does make sense. I also think changing food sources and hunting pressure pay a big role in the famed "lull". Hunting beds I still see plenty of deer but if I was hunting like an average joe I would be frustrated.

I did see some odd lull behavoir last year out of a yearling buck. He got up out of a bedding area I was hunting and worked my way about 45 minutes before dark. Instead of moving on he bedded down under my stand until it was closing time, then got up and fed some more in the area before moving on well after dark. Not sure if he was just a smart young buck or if some of the lull facors played a role in his movment.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Leaves dropping: spooked deer ?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:44 am

I got a buddy who always claims deer don't like moving when the leaves are steadly dropping. Kinda makes sense. The wind we had here blew a lot of them off over the past couple of days.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”