The Rut: Letting their guard down...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

Re: The Rut: Letting their guard down...

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 am

So if I understand you Dan you say that when a buck is coming in pushing a doe i should wait and not draw until the bucks and does eyes are shielded so i dont get spotted pulling back. the exception is if he is moving fast and/or the shot windows tight

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 am

wmihunter wrote:So if I understand you Dan you say that when a buck is coming in pushing a doe i should wait and not draw until the bucks and does eyes are shielded so i dont get spotted pulling back. the exception is if he is moving fast and/or the shot windows tight

I am saying I draw the bow when the buck presents a shot. Not before. I would rather he is looking away, but the arrow is getting drawn when a shot presents itself.
When I 1st started hunting with a bow, I was told to draw before they get to an opening, and that cost me a few deer. Now I get the bow back when a shot presents itself. I don't worry to much about them seeing me cause they usually stop and stair for a moment giving you a great shot.
Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 pm

I remember last year during the rut it was around 1 and I decided to climb down from my tree stand after only seeing one doe at about 11 in the morning. I was about three steps from the bottom, and I heard something behind me, a mature 8 pointer on the trail of a hot doe, he couldn't have been more than 10 yards away, he looked at me then put his nose back to the ground and kept on the same trail. I couldn't believe that he didn't take off like a bat outta . It was like he didn't even care I was there at all

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via iPhone ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/iPhone.png[/img]
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:41 pm

dan wrote:
wmihunter wrote:So if I understand you Dan you say that when a buck is coming in pushing a doe i should wait and not draw until the bucks and does eyes are shielded so i dont get spotted pulling back. the exception is if he is moving fast and/or the shot windows tight

I am saying I draw the bow when the buck presents a shot. Not before. I would rather he is looking away, but the arrow is getting drawn when a shot presents itself.
When I 1st started hunting with a bow, I was told to draw before they get to an opening, and that cost me a few deer. Now I get the bow back when a shot presents itself. I don't worry to much about them seeing me cause they usually stop and stair for a moment giving you a great shot.

So this makes me think of something I am sure everyone has expierenced. You start drawing back and he spots you. The first reaction is to freeze mid draw. I have done this and it has never ended with me getting the buck. He almost always stops and stares for a few seconds. Now if you would keep drawing you would probably get the shot off in those 5 seconds. After all he saw you move and no way are you motionless at 1/2 draw so you might as well go for it. Right??
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I think it may also depend on if they are right on a doe that is 'in heat' or very near. A couple years ago I didn't wear rubber boots to my spot, and overshot the tree for my LW in the dark. Obviously I had to back-track (about 20 yards). After getting set up in the right tree and about an hour later, I had a 2 1/2 buck cruise through, nose to the ground....he hit my track, his head popped up, he looked around, backed up and turned around. Then he left the way he came. Never go w/o rubber boots anymore, but have also noticed does that are in heat act very stupid and pretty much ignore danger....

So, with the slim chance that a buck or doe is so intent on breeding and their guard may be let down, I'll still always play the wind as normal.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:33 pm

adrenalin wrote:
dan wrote:

So this makes me think of something I am sure everyone has expierenced. You start drawing back and he spots you. The first reaction is to freeze mid draw. I have done this and it has never ended with me getting the buck. He almost always stops and stares for a few seconds. Now if you would keep drawing you would probably get the shot off in those 5 seconds. After all he saw you move and no way are you motionless at 1/2 draw so you might as well go for it. Right??

I believe Dan is saying keep drawing and aim and shoot. Adrenaline, I've tended to freeze like the deer do and I gotta remember to go into kill mode. Great advice again Dan !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”