Slow weekend

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Re: Slow weekend

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 am

I didnt see any on my Friday evening sit and didnt hunt the rest of the weekend, but the others that hunted our land had very slow or no action. I was anticipating this weekend would be great for movement with the front rolling through but was proved wrong- at least in our woods. I will be back out tomorrow morning hoping the wind was keeping them down and that they will be moving more. (hunting NE Wisconsin). Good luck all.

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 am

Friday night: Passed a 2 yr old 7pt, passed a yearling and saw 4 does
Saturday morning: No deer seen but was after a specific buck
Saturday night: I didnt hunt dad had a mature 8 pointer at 20 yds couldnt close the deal, cousin shot doe.
Sunday morning: Passed a yearling
Sunday night: One doe

Friday night and was good and so was Saturday night but the others were slow.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 am

the entire season has been super slow :lol: for me , not sure whats going on. sat. morning i seen a doe and her 2 fawns. but the dow and 1 fawn came through 35 yards away and stayed in the brush and the other fawn came through at 25 and gave me a shot. so i psased i wanted mamma. that was the only deer i have seen so far this year :roll: i hope this year isnt going to be like that all year.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:06 am

This time of year when the deer are still on a feeding pattern I like to find a good food source close to bedding. I started hunting Wed eve going into this moon phase and saw my target buck and two other py's from my observation stand, also 6 does. Got my wind Sunday evening and went for it. Belly crawled for 300 yards and sat in a clump of grass on the edge of cut corn with crossbow. Had three does walk right by, two different bucks I passed on, one was big body terrible rack probably 3.5, the second was a beautiful 8 pt py, but I passed hoping my target would make it to me before dark. He didnt show, his bed is about 150yds away and he was in the field the past wed with 30min shooting left. Thrilling hunt on the ground, all deer walked 20yds or less. I plan to give it a rest and do another observation hunt to see where I might be able to set up closer without busting other deer out of the overgrown field.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:07 pm

GRUD wrote:This time of year when the deer are still on a feeding pattern I like to find a good food source close to bedding. I started hunting Wed eve going into this moon phase and saw my target buck and two other py's from my observation stand, also 6 does. Got my wind Sunday evening and went for it. Belly crawled for 300 yards and sat in a clump of grass on the edge of cut corn with crossbow. Had three does walk right by, two different bucks I passed on, one was big body terrible rack probably 3.5, the second was a beautiful 8 pt py, but I passed hoping my target would make it to me before dark. He didnt show, his bed is about 150yds away and he was in the field the past wed with 30min shooting left. Thrilling hunt on the ground, all deer walked 20yds or less. I plan to give it a rest and do another observation hunt to see where I might be able to set up closer without busting other deer out of the overgrown field.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hunting on the ground can be tricky...but when it works out its very rewarding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”