always ALMOST

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

always ALMOST

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Well Saturday night was a good night. I ended up passing a nice 2 yr old 8 point (have pics of him on a trail camera) and was at full draw on a mature 10pter I've never seen before, probably would go 145-150 inches. He ended up catching my scent as the wind was going west at times instead of northwest. He was at 20 yards with some trees in the way...he spooked and went to 30. With it almost dark, a branch bumping up against my bow, and a bush kind of in the way of the shot I decided to pass him. He was a beautiful buck. When he was 20 yards away he was staring at me and I was shaking like a leaf. Nothing like a good adrenaline rush...man. Its always I almost got him...just waiting for the time I can say I GOT EM! It felt good getting that close and knowing the general location of where he was bedding but It seems like its so hard to actually connect. I learned a lot on that hunt as well. I guess all you can do is take it in and make yourself better. Hopefully I can turn the ALMOSTS to reality in the future.

I have a question for you guys that have been around the block...In a case like this, I don't think I was too far away from his bed but wasn't right over it. I would guess 150-200 yards away from where he was bedded. Do you think he will be bedding there again or do you think he will vacate the area now that my scent has been in there and he busted me. I want to try a little closer...what are the chances you think he'll still be there?

backstraps

Re: always ALMOST

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Congrats on the encounter! Sound like he was just seconds from getting the shaft. Good job not letting one fly without the confidence of an clean shot.

Im not sure on your question, but I would imagine if you get closer you should be fine. The stand site you were in I think is comprimised now since he caught ya a little. I would bet he will still use his bed he came from if its that far away. I would move in on him and try it!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Exciting encounter! You know you are doing something right. Keep at it. It is amazing how close you can be to a big buck and not be able to get a shot. I've been there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:21 am

Cool encounter, hard to say for sure what he will do. It might be worth a shot to move in closer but it also might be a good idea to lets things calm down and hunt the bed again closer to the rut, try to slip in closer and surprise him.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 am

never know unless you try. they're wild animals, all we can do is make an educated guess. I would take the chance. if he is gone already, you won't hurt anything. if he is there, you could get him. he may use the bed and skirt around that area now. he may just move later. I like your way of thinking and I would deffinately try to move in closer since you had a good distance between you and the bed.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 am

Sounds like a good hunt!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:never know unless you try. they're wild animals, all we can do is make an educated guess. I would take the chance. if he is gone already, you won't hurt anything. if he is there, you could get him. he may use the bed and skirt around that area now. he may just move later. I like your way of thinking and I would deffinately try to move in closer since you had a good distance between you and the bed.

X2..
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks guys. Going in for a shot on him this weekend If I get the right winds.

If I don't see him I'll probably try another bed a ways away I think he might be using if I bumped him off this one. Either that or another buck I'm after is using it. Can't wait to find out :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”