Last nights hunt.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Last nights hunt.

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:46 am

I went out to a very remote island in a large cattail marsh yesterday evening... I would guess its close to 2 miles. I can get to it by either kayak or foot... Pretty tough either way. When there is leaf cover like now, there is one dry land section where its pretty easy to loose track of where you are so I brought a compass. One of those ones you pin on.. Just bought it. Works great... I wasn't to keen on the whole wearing orange thing with it being opening day of youth gun deer season in Wisconsin. Especially considering the whole woods is blaze orange with the hard wood leaf colors...
Anyway, ran into several youth hunters on the way out. All near the road... When I got to the cattails for the last 1/2 mile they were dray and I think that had something to do with the fact that the trail was almost grown in and really tough to navigate. That thick heavy cattail wall I was pushing my way thru, is probably what ripped off my compass...
Anyway, eventually after about an hour and a half, I reached the tip on the island and started navigating my way to my tree. I jumped a big doe bedded right below it... I was surprised to see fresh marks on the tree from it being climbed and hunted, and fresh cut limbs... No turning back now.
I noticed the marks were from Lone wolf sticks, and being that they were on my exact tree makes me wonder if it was really a coincidence?
I quietly climbed the tree and set my stand... It was a long wait with no action till just before dark when a doe came out and was feeding her way to me. She did not get underneath me till just before closing. I thought about how nice it would be for the hunter using my tree to find a gut pile under it and thought it would be a piece of cake to get the deer out with my kayak. Was also questioning whether it was a smart move trying to get out thru those cattails and across that big forest with all my equipment and no compass... So, I could boat in, get the deer and my packed up stand in the morning. I shot the doe and she bolted to the front of the island. The arrow shaft was sticking out of her back and the lit nock could be seen from my stand as she ran a circle and then all went silent... I went to lower my bow and camera arm and the rope got tangled. I jiggled it a bit and my bow detached and fell over 20 feet to the ground. My quiver smashed and arrows and pieces flew every where.
I think my eyes are getting old, cause, again, I thought the hit was great, but when I got down, the broadhead was busted off in the ground and green stomach slime was around it... I new better than to track any deer stomach hit till the next morning. There was no way I was carrying my bow and all those arrows out with no quiver so I pulled the stand and sticks and hid my bow and stand and headed off into the cattails with it already getting pretty dark with a long walk out with no compass... Right away I lost the trail in the cattails and got into cattails so thick it was almost impossible to penetrate. I was wearing out quick and the cattails were so high it was hard to see the trees. I eventually found the trail and made it to the woods... At that point I headed N.E. and tried to navigate straight. I came out at an edge of the woods I did not recognize and decided to follow the transition knowing it would either take me to something I could recognize, or to the spot I navigate across to get to the next piece of high ground. after 30 minutes of walking I new something was wrong and was tempted to turn around and go back the other way. Good thing I didn't I came to a place I recognized minutes later, it was a point I have hunted a few times in past years, but it was a 1/4 mile from where I needed to cross over. But at least I was not lost anymore, or should I say misplaced? I don't get lost. LOL.
I got to the truck pretty late and headed home...

This morning I got up sore, but ready to head out and find the doe and retrieve my equipment. I called a friend and we loaded up the kayaks and a rubber boat and headed into the swamp...

I noticed right away that there were about 15 trucks in the parking lot with trailers. These guys were out duck hunting. They don't have to wear orange, but I do.
The water was cold, and shallow, we got into some 1 inch deep water a few times.

In this image you can see where we went thru 1 inch deep water push the kayaks with the oars against the mud. See the mud clumps that were pushed up from the oars?

All the duck hunters got mad when they seen the orange team coming thru and left. You could see they were not happy. I said to my friend James, they should be happy, we will be kicking ducks to them when we get into the swamp deeper... Sure enough, we kicked up tons of mallards and even some woody's but never heard a shot... Well, thats cause they all left.

Man was I sore by the time we reached the island... We went back and got my stash of equipment and got on the blood trail. It was heavy.

We found the deer in minutes... But a pack of coyotes found her 1st.

Looking at the deer it was pretty obvious the coyotes had destroyed all salvageable meat off the deer, and I decided not to take it... It would of been just to get a buck stamp at that point.

It was one of those times when you wish you could go back and not release the arrow... Thats the thing with hunting. No "take backs"... You gotta just live with your choices and try to learn from them.

We headed back to the boats and headed the long trip back to the truck...

Sure enough, when we got back every duck hunter was gone...
Last edited by dan on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to less offensive

virginiashadow
500 Club

Re: To he11 and back... Last nights hunt.

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 am

that story made me feel exhausted Dan!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:59 am

Yeah that sure does sound like one heck of a screwed up day! :shock:

Sure sounds like a great adventure except for the doe of course. Them darn coyotes sure don't waste any time do they.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 am

Dewey wrote:Yeah that sure does sound like one heck of a screwed up day! :shock:

Sure sounds like a great adventure except for the doe of course. Them darn coyotes sure don't waste any time do they.

I never see coyotes back that far untill after there is ice... But with the drought there is less water and plenty of land bridges.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:21 am

Wow sounds like a mess of a night. Glad you made it out okay.
One thing for sure...made for an adventure.
Yalls coyote problem sounds very bad!

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 am

You......Are Hardcore!
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

What a day. Congrats on the kill. Too bad it didn't turn out a bit better. You've got determination I'll say that, to kill a doe so far back. Nothin like the feelin of bein turned around in the woods at night, been there. I always carry a compass in my pocket even if I know where I'm goin.

Ever figure out who was huntin your spot?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 am

Not yet...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 am

A few weeks ago I lost a trail in the cattails and bushwacked my way out carrying all my gear, talk a out a nightmare! It is totally exhausting. Makes you think twice about hunting cattails........for a minute.......the next day I was raring to go again. It's amazing what a few beers and a goodnight's sleep will do for you.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 am

dan wrote:

Not yet...

Was this the area from the scouting workshop?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:37 am

Yes. The furthest place we went too.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:42 am

dan wrote:

Was that the spot you had seen evidence of another hunter? Maybe he saw your stick scratch marks on the tree?
Makes a guy wonder......that remote and he finds your exact tree.

That is also why I hate wearing orange, guys can see exactly where you are setting up.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:52 am

dan wrote:

That's some bull right there! Have had this before too. Rewards for paying it forward is what I call it. Ha! Shot a doe out of it anyway! Good thing your not a follower!

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55 am

Tough hunt Dan, glad you made it out ok. Might be worth sticking a trail cam out there, to see who is lurking around. Would be a shame if it was somebody from the workshop. :roll:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Duck hunters. Psssssshhh!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”