Got one!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Got one!

Unread postby Brad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:23 am

I went out last night and walked a creek until it got brushy and felt good. I set up in my LW Alpha and waited but not for long. I had a doe and two fawns come out on the other side of the creek and get a drink and got some good footage of them. Well shortly there after a very nice buck came out and I got 30 minutes or so worth of footage of him, he just would not cross the creek though. Had it been rifle season it would have been easy because he was as close as 65 yards. Anyway he left and an hour later or so the doe and her fawns cross the creek and come in and I decided to shoot the doe and try and get my first video on film. I drew back when she went behind a tree and she ended up walking pretty quick to the edge of the frame. I should have let down and moved the cam and re drawn but I didn't think I would pull it off so I shot her walking instead. It was a horrible shot and I am ashamed of it, I hit her right in front of the hind quarters. I let her go over night and went out this morning and found her, it was a pretty tricky blood trail and she only went 100 yards or so, but
i feel sick that she suffered.

I also wasn't the first to find her, some coyotes did too and helped themselves to a hind quarter and some of the guts, so field dressing her was real fun and pleasant. I am glad I found her, she bleed pretty good for a gut shot but it was sporadic and usually streaks on a leaf here and there and I just kept checking trails and finding bits of blood and kept going. I finally found where she crossed a 4 wheeler trail which was by a standing corn field, so I figured she went in there and bedded down right away and would be in there dead. I kept checking fence crossings and trails leading up to them and found some sign where she went in, but rather than going into the corn to went to the right and died on the edge of it right in the open. I am glad I found her. I am sick with the shot I made, sick that I let myself get tunnel vision with the camera being on my mind, and sick that the coyotes got her as well. I think I can salvage the front shoulders and one hind quarter. Interesting enough she was stone cold when I found her so I think she died fairly fast.

The one positive was I was proud of myself for finding her with a semi difficult blood trail, I think a lot of people might have given up. My next option was to call in a blood tracker, I was in contact with two of them last night and was making arrangements in case I couldn't find her on my own.

Her good side

She crossed by the cedar tree in the background, it looks like a long ways but it was only 20 yards maybe 30

how I found her

stupid coyotes, stupid shot on me

Tadmdad
500 Club

Re: Got one!

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 am

Way to go, Brad
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:39 am

Congrats Brad! 8-)

Sucks the yotes had to ruin some good venison!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:39 am

It's unfortunate that you it played out the way it did, but at least you will get some meat out of her and the fact that you care enough about the animal to feel like you do means you will probably avoid making that mistake again. Sorry how it went down, but congrats on getting some meat for the freezer. I'm sure you will make a better shot next time.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:41 am

Darn coyotes! Dan has same problem right now.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:14 am

Way to stick with the tracking Brad.. next yote get even

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:29 am

Congrats

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 am

Good job on going in with the stand on your back and locating the right tree. You almost had a big buck, and was able to shoot a mature doe with 6 eyes in the imediate area. Not always easy thing to do. Congrats on the doe, and as Bucky said, way to stick with the trail, even though you had limited sign and knew the shot was way back. Also smart to wait till morning, shows you have learned a few things about this game. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:47 am

GJ sticking with it and finding the doe, Brad. DANG yotes, anyway...

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 am

congrats
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:54 am

Congrats sticking with it... I would of likely not shot after seeing the buck and moved over today. But, thats me...
I had a similar hunt last night that I will right up shortly.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 am

Congrats Brad.

BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:29 am

Congrats. way to stick with it and find the deer.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 am

Sweet!

Congrats, Brad. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 am

Brad, these things happen. Be happy you saw a good buck and had deer within range. You made the call you felt was right, recovered your deer with some meat still edible, and are still on that other buck. GOOD WORK!

Brett

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”