Prior to the rut 2.5+ year old buck and doe sightings

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Prior to the rut 2.5+ year old buck and doe sightings

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 am

I was hunting off a staging area (or so I thought) last night on the side of a ridge near a point. Acorns were raining and it was overcast....nothing. However I began thinking about all the non-rut 2.5+ year old bucks sightings I have observed over the years. I cannot remember a single one outside the rut that involved a 2.5+ year old buck being around any does. That being said, I almost feel good not seeing does prior to the rut because I know I will not see a target buck if do see does. Thoughts?

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Prior to the rut 2.5+ year old buck and doe sightings

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:28 am

Around here you can't go anywhere without seeing some does, bunch of deer here. The bucks may not be led around on a string by the does but usually they are around. They feed in the same general areas. The 2.5 yo bucks and younger seem to not mind hangin with the does. The older bucks do their own thing, but are still around. If you happen to see one come out where other deer are feeding, the does and younger bucks seem to get nervous or uncomfortable. Defnitely not a grand welcome.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
virginiashadow
500 Club

Re: Prior to the rut 2.5+ year old buck and doe sightings

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:51 am

I just can't remember seeing any does hanging around 2.5+ year old bucks where I hunt outside the rut. Outside the rut, the 2.5 year old bucks around here are pretty cautious creatures.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”